Sign in to follow this  
BigBore

Cowboy 4500 presser foot problem

Working on a holster this weekend and the presser foot is getting stuck in the 'up' position.  I can push on it and it will snap back down, or essentially raise it with the foot pedal and it will fall.  Then it will work a little while and then do it again.  I've also noticed when raising the presser foot with the pedal, it isn't a 'smooth' cycle, if that makes sense.  I keep my machine well oiled, unless I'm missing a port somewhere.

Anyone experience this before?

@BigBoreWhen you take the side cover off have you oiled on the pressure bar above the bushing,on the roller further up & then don't forget the inside of the tension adjuster @ the top of the machine.One more thing when this happens again before you push it down,check the chain from the lifter arm to the lower hole through the table,some chains catch in the hole when they are released & maybe switching ends will stop it from getting caught if this is the problem.

Edited by CowboyBob

11 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

One more thing when this happens again before you push it down,check the chain from the lifter arm to the lower hole through the table,some chains catch in the hole when they are released & maybe switching ends will stop it from getting caught if this is the problem.

Yep, that has happened to me. 

HS

Thank you both. I just thought I kept my machine well oiled. Until yesterday I had only ever just oiled the drilled holes across the machine. After CowboyBob replied I took the side plate off and did it more thoroughly. Seems to have fixed the issue.