Swea

Pfaff 145 questions

Hi everyone, new here so not sure I’m posting this right but here I go trying. I got a pfaff 145-6c H3LMN . I’ve read about this but still not quite sure how it works with what means what..

trying to figure out what needle to get from the manual and feel a bit confused, is my model H3 and so needle system 134-35 ? And if so , looking at the pic below choosing a needle will I look at the C part (145-6C?) ? And what would I type searching on google to buy needles to get the right needle since and system? (Sorry if this is silly questions ) 

Continuing I have a question about the motor belt , v belt or what you call it , mine is so worn I can’t find any specifics left on it , could I just measure the one I have or can they be different angles etc ? 

Also gonna change the motor to a servo motor , wanted to get a needle positioner as well , does it go on the pfaff 145? My google search finds no results but maybe it works the same on all ?  

any tips that comes to mind reading this please share , and sorry if I’ve done this post the wrong way 

cheers 

IMG_4040.png

Yes, the needle is a 134-35.  The size will depend on the material and thread you will be using.  Determining what all the needle numbers mean is a learning experience.  The length is critical to having the machine in proper time.  I would read up on the machine, there is a lot of information out there even though the machine is no longer made.  They are still great machines though.

Here is the breakdown of the letters of your machine: H3 = top feed lift 5.5mm, fabric clearance 11.0mm, C = medium-heavy materials, L=leather, M=safety overload, N=6mm stitch length max.

The belt length is based on the pulley sizes and distance between the pulley centers.  If you are going to add a servo motor, you will need to change the belt length.  You can use possibly a round extension cord to measure for the belt length, it should be close.  If nothing else, possibly take your existing blet to a car parts store and compare.

If you want a needle positioner, you will need to get a digital servo motor.  There are analog servo motors but they will not work with a needle positioner.  I can't tell you if the needle positioner will work with the Pfaff 145 but it will depend on the diameters of the adapter and the center of the balance wheel.  

I have a Pfaff 545 which is very similar.  I too installed a servo motor but went with an analog model with the smaller 45mm pulley.  It really allows great control of the needle, so much so I don't feel the need to use a needle positioner but that's just me.  Good luck with your machine, I have a lot of information on these machines as I'm new to it too.  Let me know if I can help -

The belt type is called Type 3L. They are 3/8 inch wide on top. If you have a hardware store nearby, they usually stock them in numerous lengths. Measure as close as you can, then buy a couple v-belts around that general size. Return the belts that are too long or short.

4 hours ago, fibersport said:

Yes, the needle is a 134-35.  The size will depend on the material and thread you will be using.  Determining what all the needle numbers mean is a learning experience.  The length is critical to having the machine in proper time.  I would read up on the machine, there is a lot of information out there even though the machine is no longer made.  They are still great machines though.

Here is the breakdown of the letters of your machine: H3 = top feed lift 5.5mm, fabric clearance 11.0mm, C = medium-heavy materials, L=leather, M=safety overload, N=6mm stitch length max.

The belt length is based on the pulley sizes and distance between the pulley centers.  If you are going to add a servo motor, you will need to change the belt length.  You can use possibly a round extension cord to measure for the belt length, it should be close.  If nothing else, possibly take your existing blet to a car parts store and compare.

If you want a needle positioner, you will need to get a digital servo motor.  There are analog servo motors but they will not work with a needle positioner.  I can't tell you if the needle positioner will work with the Pfaff 145 but it will depend on the diameters of the adapter and the center of the balance wheel.  

I have a Pfaff 545 which is very similar.  I too installed a servo motor but went with an analog model with the smaller 45mm pulley.  It really allows great control of the needle, so much so I don't feel the need to use a needle positioner but that's just me.  Good luck with your machine, I have a lot of information on these machines as I'm new to it too.  Let me know if I can help -

Thanks for the reply , might pop up more questions along the way of getting the machine set up so I’d be happy to come back for more help. For now just to see I understand this chart I posted , can I choose needle size on B,C,D where the H3 is listed then ? I understand the needle part to be something to understand better over time but it’d be good to know if I read things right or not. 

thanks

4 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

The belt type is called Type 3L. They are 3/8 inch wide on top. If you have a hardware store nearby, they usually stock them in numerous lengths. Measure as close as you can, then buy a couple v-belts around that general size. Return the belts that are too long or short.

Thanks that’s what I was after , will see when the motor is installed what length will be good and maybe get a few to try, they look pretty cheap as well online to get.

Thanks 

6 hours ago, Swea said:

Thanks for the reply , might pop up more questions along the way of getting the machine set up so I’d be happy to come back for more help. For now just to see I understand this chart I posted , can I choose needle size on B,C,D where the H3 is listed then ? I understand the needle part to be something to understand better over time but it’d be good to know if I read things right or not. 

thanks

Correct, anything in that list that says H3 will work.  I see you're in Europe so I would think the metric system might be the popular size to find.  I use what I think is Singer size numbering, 14, 19, 22 etc.  I bought mine from   https://www.ebay.com/str/cutexsewingsupplies but you might be able to find something more local as I don't know if they will ship to you.  Again, feel free to ask questions or send me a private message if you wish.