Does anybody put a tag on saddles with your mark and the date when you’ve done major restoration? For instance, I cleaned, re-fleeced, and did a bunch of repair on a 1930”s 8 string saddle that I can’t find a makers mark on. Is it ok to put my mark on it as a restorer? I will not be claiming that I made it. Ditto for newer saddles that require extensive work. if I leave the makers tag and serial number would it be ok to add a tag with my info as having restored the saddle?

If it helps you decide; I've seen restoration 'tags' on everything from old shotguns, vintage car engines, vintage car upholstery, old buildings, especially old churches or community halls and all sorts of things even on old aeroplanes

If your work is good and you are proud to stand over it, then imo, put your restoration tag on it. And keep a record of what you did on it

I found an old and corroded 'rebuilt by....' tag on my vintage car engine. The company was long gone by the time I got my car but a previous owner had contacted the engine rebuilder and got a copy of the works sheets which specified what had been done. It might be the same with a saddle; in the future an owner may contact you to find out what you had re-furbished

I think it would be OK to do it, but only if the tag could be put somewhere inconspicuous. If I make some work on a saddle, I make sure to find the serial number of the saddle and the model etc. and write that in the invoice I make. 

e.g. Passier Optimum II dressage saddle 17,5" saddle No 17534, replaced fwd girth straps and repaired defect stitching on lower left saddle flap. 

I have never done so extensive repairs that I felt I could justify to put on a rebuilt tag, but my idea about being thorough with the description is that in case the customer has got several saddles (fairly normal), and they suddenly get mixed up in their head that this saddle was just repaired and now it is broken again, then I can go back in my invoices and see if I actually worked on that particular saddle.