Teddyi

Pricing for Custom Saddle Tree Made by Kent Frecker

A few years ago I had a young horse that I had fitted for a custom wade saddle tree by Kent Frecker.  Kent finished the tree and while I was waiting for my saddle to be built, my horse sadly passed away unexpectedly.  This was a few years ago and I asked Kent to send me the tree as I no longer had a horse for the saddle and I was too grief-stricken to think about buying another horse.  I was hoping to have Kent make a saddle with this tree in the future, but sadly Kent too passed in 2021.  I have kept this tree for years and have decided to sell it now.  I'd appreciate any help on how to price it.  It's a beautifully made tree and although it has sentimental value to me, I don't think I'll buy another horse anytime soon so I'd like it to go to someone who will be able to enjoy it.  Thanks so much.

Theres a special bond between man and their  horse, when they pass away, the pain is overwhelming and  the same as losing a loved one . 

Perhaps a pic may help those on here help you out. 

HS

Losing an animal is so incredibly hard. They occupy a special place in your heart. 

I would think that the price also depended a bit on the measurements of the tree. 
If the tree is fairly standard width and length and curvature, then I guess that the price should be probably 60 - 75% of new value.
A special tree like extra short back or for an unusual curvature or angle (I don't know the proper names of those for American saddle trees) would be harder to sell, since the chances of finding a horse with the similar features coupled with an owner who would want to have a custom saddle built would be hard. So in that case it might be something like 40 - 50 % of new value.

These are just my best guesses.

A suggestion could be to contact a saddlemaker and ask him/her if they would be interested in buying the tree. They might have a prospect customer they could couple up with the tree and make a saddle. 

God luck

Brgds Jonas

My first call would be to Karsten and see if he wants it back to build on. The shop isn't closed. If he doesn't want it he could give more guidance on what to price it at. 

Thanks so much everyone for your thoughtful replies and kind words.  I'll take the advice given and see if I can come up with a price.  I don't believe Karsten would want the tree back as Kent declined to keep it when I asked him a few years ago.  It might have been because the saddle was not exactly niche, but also not truly suitable for a wider range of riders.  I'm 5'3" and 108 lbs. and my horse was short backed with lots of muscling over the shoulders and back/loins. 

As for my horse, I have had horses all my life and although I loved them all,  he was exceptional.  I raised him from a weanling and spent more time with him than anyone (human or animal) in my life.  I took him everywhere with me, I started him under saddle, took him to clinics, trained him to Fourth Level dressage, chased more than a few cows on him, and rode him over all kinds of terrain in all types of weather.  We had a bond that was unique and wonderful and he was the most amazing horse I have ever had.  I was truly lucky and blessed to have had the time I did with him and I miss him every day.

Just sayin,  to the general public and not to you---I generally refuse to make a saddle to "custom" dimensions, explained this way: a saddle has a fifty+ year life and a horse 20- so what are you going to do?  Pads are much more flexible now so look to that as your short term solution for a misfit and pick a saddle to fit "general" types.

13 minutes ago, oltoot said:

Just sayin,  to the general public and not to you---I generally refuse to make a saddle to "custom" dimensions, explained this way: a saddle has a fifty+ year life and a horse 20- so what are you going to do?  Pads are much more flexible now so look to that as your short term solution for a misfit and pick a saddle to fit "general" types.

I can see your point, but I tend to disagree a bit. If the horse is a good horse that needs a special saddle, then a custom saddle would still be used for lets say 15 years on that horse. And even though a saddle is expensive, spread out over 15 years it is OK I guess.

Though I'd probably want a 50% deposit before starting the work.  

Brgds Jonas

On 11/7/2023 at 4:25 AM, Teddyi said:

We had a bond that was unique and wonderful and he was the most amazing horse I have ever had.

Going a bit off topic here.

I hear ya . For a few years a while back  I was looking after my neighbors  4 horses , feed water etc.  I did it as a favor . The owners lived in another town  and rarely spent time with their own horses, to my annoyance. I was the most human contact they regularly  had and we formed quite a good bond, they all waited by the back fence  for me to greet them every night, with carrots  :) 

One of the horses, ' Penny' was an absolute gem , the most friendly  kind and gentle horse I've ever had the pleasure &  experience of being with. But the the owners decided to sell her . Like  having my heart ripped out . 

After that, our "friendship" was wearing thin, and the favors were about to run out. I got annoyed with their behavior and for their lack of care and understanding of the horses, and for the lack of interaction with them,   and I no longer looked after their horses, much to my heartbreak . They eventually sold all the horses. I couldn't understand why they had horses in the first place.

In hindsight, I should have bought ' Penny' myself, she would have been no trouble at all to look after. 

HS

On 11/8/2023 at 3:39 AM, Handstitched said:

Going a bit off topic here.

I hear ya . For a few years a while back  I was looking after my neighbors  4 horses , feed water etc.  I did it as a favor . The owners lived in another town  and rarely spent time with their own horses, to my annoyance. I was the most human contact they regularly  had and we formed quite a good bond, they all waited by the back fence  for me to greet them every night, with carrots  :) 

One of the horses, ' Penny' was an absolute gem , the most friendly  kind and gentle horse I've ever had the pleasure &  experience of being with. But the the owners decided to sell her . Like  having my heart ripped out . 

After that, our "friendship" was wearing thin, and the favors were about to run out. I got annoyed with their behavior and for their lack of care and understanding of the horses, and for the lack of interaction with them,   and I no longer looked after their horses, much to my heartbreak . They eventually sold all the horses. I couldn't understand why they had horses in the first place.

In hindsight, I should have bought ' Penny' myself, she would have been no trouble at all to look after. 

HS

Once in a while it really is a mystery as to why some people get a horse.

Our neighbour has got a horse in our stable. Technically it is the daughters horse, but she is grown up and has long ago moved to another part of the country. The neighbour wife comes by once every day to muck out that box and measure up feed for the horse. 

Maybe once or twice per year, the horse is exercised on a line. That's all. 
I have never understood why they didn't part with the horse, given that they never get any of the "fun" by having a horse, 

To me just going in the stable in the morning and being greeted by a low hohohohohohoh is great, and we normally take our horse for a trip in the forest once per week. But having to pay for a horse without getting any of that in return is stragne to me, and I feel sorry for the horse since in my opinion, it would be better off somewhere else, perhaps where a young teenager could take care of the horse and give it the love and time investment that it deserves. 

I am just puzzled by it.

9 hours ago, Mulesaw said:

But having to pay for a horse without getting any of that in return is stragne to me

Likewise. They paid a fortune on feed , but rarely spent time with them . Puzzled by that. :unsure:

Perhaps people get a horse because they have  ' grandiose' ideas of riding, or breeding them and  later lose interest,  who knows,  ...dunno. 

My apologies to @Teddyi  for hijacking her thread :)

HS