Gabriel Rasa

How to keep Fiebings antique from flaking off?

This isn't a problem I've had before, but on one particular belt I keep having issues with the antique flaking off. I used alcohol based dye and Fiebings dark brown antiqueing paste (though I don't remember if I sealed it before antiqueing), with a finishing coat of Fiebings spray wax Leather Sheen. I've touched it up once before, but now it's happening again. Any suggestions for how to avoid this problem in the future?

antique flaking.png

I've not heard much about fiebings spray wax Leather Sheen, you say you haven't had a problem before, looks like the finish doesn't like the antique, or maybe an odd crappy batch of either product. I've occasionally had a similar thing happen with the standard pairing of antique paste and cut 50/50 resolene/water, usually only if I don't measure and have too much resolene paired with not buffing off enough paste, during the application and after the paste dries.

Nice knotwork!

50/50 resolene/water is my go-to sealant as well. I usually only use the wax spray when I'm in a hurry, because it's more expensive, but it goes on fast and dries fast. That might explain it though, if I'd used the wax under the antiqueing paste instead of resolene, and the paste didn't adhere to it.

...Yeah, that's probably it; I've also found that acrylic paint doesn't stick to wax-hardened veg-tan well. Good thing this piece was for me, not for a customer, so I'll just keep touching it up periodically. Thanks!