Dwight

Made a different sling

A friend needed a sling for his new rifle . . . had fun finding dye to match the stock . . . found one that I think worked fairly well . . . 

Its a cross between just a carry sling . . . and a typical military sling.

Made so it can be adjusted to the shooter to be able to use it as a "hasty sling" device.

Was a fun project . . . had to design the rear end though . . . he did not want to drill his stock to put in a ferrule to hold the rear part of the sling

May God bless,

Dwight

Eugenes 45LC sling.jpg

The rear part is stunning!

Nice, that stock end is unique. Well done!!

Very nice. What is that milled looking metal doodad that the sling mounts at the rear? 

very nice indeed!!!

Dressed to impress!!

3 hours ago, 327fed said:

Very nice. What is that milled looking metal doodad that the sling mounts at the rear? 

Actually it is a piece of polished steel . . . about 5/16 thick . . . ground, drilled, polished . . . and secured with two Chicago screws . . . about 1 hour to create from a piece of scrap steel laying on the floor  . . . a drill press . . . and a 12 inch disc sander

8 hours ago, Wepster said:

The rear part is stunning!

Thank you, Sir . . . 

4 hours ago, bladegrinder said:

Nice, that stock end is unique. Well done!!

Thank you

3 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

very nice indeed!!!

Thank you

2 hours ago, Frodo said:

Dressed to impress!!

It won't impress everyone . . . but it was what he wanted . . . and I am happy that it is somewhat unique.

May God bless,

Dwight

Very nice D!

Beautiful work on the sling sir. It just matches the classic look of the lever gun perfectly. 

Really like that design. Very sharp!

Very nice design. 
Is there a small piece of leather under that steel bracket that you made, to sort of keep it off the butt of the rifle?

Also, the rear part looks great! Those creases are just the right amount of decoration for my taste on something as elegant as this.
Did you sew the back part together at the extreme rear end ?

Brgds Jonas

8 hours ago, Mulesaw said:

Very nice design. 
Is there a small piece of leather under that steel bracket that you made, to sort of keep it off the butt of the rifle?

Also, the rear part looks great! Those creases are just the right amount of decoration for my taste on something as elegant as this.
Did you sew the back part together at the extreme rear end ?

Brgds Jonas

Thank you for the good words . . . 

No . . . there were plans to put that piece of leather there to protect the stock . . . but when we started putting the Chicago screws in . . . there simply was no room.  It is a TIGHT fit . . . 

The back two pieces come together on the stock . . . two rivets hold them together . . . laid on a "anvil" piece on my work bench . . . and seriously flattened on both sides . . . no bump to get against the shoulder . . . no bump to rub against the buttstock.

I have one very similar in .44 Mag . . . and it may wind up getting one like it.  It's my deer rifle here in Ohio.

May God bless,

Dwight

That's fantastic. Where did you get the frog hook for the working end? I've got this wild hair to make myself a 1903 sling for my .308 bolt gun but don't know where to get good hardware. I found an oval punch on Weaver Leathercraft's site, so that part would be covered; just don't know where to get the hardware itself.

3 hours ago, Mablung said:

That's fantastic. Where did you get the frog hook for the working end? I've got this wild hair to make myself a 1903 sling for my .308 bolt gun but don't know where to get good hardware. I found an oval punch on Weaver Leathercraft's site, so that part would be covered; just don't know where to get the hardware itself.

Mablung . . . the hardware came off Ebay . . . simply ask for "brass sling frog"  .  . .  that's your clue.  AND . . . I've never seen a sling with oval punched holes.  All I've ever seen, used, or made . . . were with round holes.  

When I make one . . . I use the round hole size that the frogs will just go thru . . . not tight . . . but not at all loose . . . never had a complaint yet.  Made several of them.

May God bless,

Dwight

7 hours ago, Dwight said:

Mablung . . . the hardware came off Ebay . . . simply ask for "brass sling frog"  .  . .  that's your clue.  AND . . . I've never seen a sling with oval punched holes.  All I've ever seen, used, or made . . . were with round holes.  

When I make one . . . I use the round hole size that the frogs will just go thru . . . not tight . . . but not at all loose . . . never had a complaint yet.  Made several of them.

May God bless,

Dwight

Roger that, and thanks.  I have read before that oval holes resist wear from sling frogs better than round ones do, but that may also be a matter of preference rather than actual need.  What hole size did you use on this one?  At first glance, I would think a 1/8" round drive punch would do the trick, but I haven't looked up the frog dimensions.