So here is a purse that i made. Acctually this is only about the second one

I have ever made

Let me know what you think

would enjoy any critique

(thats how you get better)

thanks

Luke

po1front.jpg

So eh..... I think you forgot the snaps. I saw a purse once that looked a lot like that one. Don't you have any ideas of your own, dude? Just kiddin' there, Luke. It's a mighty fine purse.

Now, if you can just get your wife to carry it..... "Merry Christmas, Dear."

Edited by Go2Tex

Post all the holsters you want, I need the closeup photos, Hehehe, very nice leatherwork!

hey tex

looked at you site

beautiful saddles man

rivals chappells work

Saw your holsters to

leave those revolvers in the dust and start on autos

I would love to see a floral tooled pancake style

for a 1911 frame

also where do you get your afork trees from if you dont mind telling me

I have had a heck of a time finding a decent built wade tree

thnks

Luke

Luke, post what when and where you want. The purse is very nice looking. I did one once with the hair on side if an African Springbok, never again. Way to much hair flying around as I laced it. Was spittin that stuff out for weeks.

And thanks for sharing ALL your work.

Ken

Does your Honey know that you call her "the heck of it" ??

I know what you mean about hair flying every were

I got about 200 sq ft of the stuff from a local furniture manufacture (their scraps are huge)

gave 11$ for the lot

so I cut out about 30 of these things as I have a lot of foot traffic from the shoe repair

and I thought that these would be great (oh crap Ive still gotta get her somthing) last minuite point of sale products

any way My shop looked like a cat came in and exploded for two weeks after I cut them out

This is the only one Ive had time to finish

and thanks for all the comments

Luke

It's really good to know you are NOT a "one trick pony" and can do other things well.....not just holsters. I kept real quiet on the other thread, but it torques my jaw pretty good to have some one go off on another for anything like that. I tried real hard to think of anything made in the last hundred years or so that ANYONE can take full credit for inventing. Everything you or I do has elements of someone else's idea or design in it somewhere, plus the fact that there is so much business out there to be had that all of us put together can't keep up with it. So.....post anything you want to, any time you want to, including your fine holsters. I for one will enjoy looking at them.

Paul

Nice work, Luke. Please keep 'em coming.

It's really good to know you are NOT a "one trick pony" and can do other things well.....not just holsters. I kept real quiet on the other thread, but it torques my jaw pretty good to have some one go off on another for anything like that. I tried real hard to think of anything made in the last hundred years or so that ANYONE can take full credit for inventing. Everything you or I do has elements of someone else's idea or design in it somewhere, plus the fact that there is so much business out there to be had that all of us put together can't keep up with it.

Paul

IMO, you're right on a couple of points - most anything made today has been influenced by a predecessor to some extent; and there is plenty of business for folks to be a part of. Pure, blatant copies tend to put a bad taste in one's mouth though. I had it happen recently to me where someone made a clone of mine. In my instance, the guy actually bought one and then copied it. He tried to say it wasn't the same because he used a different dye color and gave a couple of other less than stellar excuses. The best I could do was expose him for what he was - a less than ethical business person.

OzarkMountainGunleather:

That being said, I don't recall anyone (user or moderator) say that you couldn't post about the holsters you have made or might make in the future. You appear to make a quality product, though you don't have much on your website yet.

Edited by K-Man

IMO, you're right on a couple of points - most anything made today has been influenced by a predecessor to some extent; and there is plenty of business for folks to be a part of. Pure, blatant copies tend to put a bad taste in one's mouth though. I had it happen recently to me where someone made a clone of mine. In my instance, the guy actually bought one and then copied it. He tried to say it wasn't the same because he used a different dye color and gave a couple of other less than stellar excuses. The best I could do was expose him for what he was - a less than ethical business person.

OzarkMountainGunleather:

That being said, I don't recall anyone (user or moderator) say that you couldn't post about the holsters you have made or might make in the future. You appear to make a quality product, though you don't have much on your website yet.

I dont Have my website up and running is because With the contract that I have with Wilson because of my ETHICS I wont sell any holsters to anyone else and I dont have the time to make enough other leather products to keep a website profitable.

For example I had a saddle made to take to Witcataw Falls In Oct. But the day I set it on display in the shop a man came in and wanted it (next year) any way I never said anyone said I couldnt post anymore I simply stated that Im not here to argue about diffrences or pick fights with anyone. I am here for the betterment of the leather working trade and to learn what I can from those who are more experinced than myself. I felt that the thread was not benifical to any one at that point. I am 26 years of age and own and run a succsessfull leather business in arkansas. I have a lot to learn about the leather business but still feel that I have alot to give as well I am here only for that reason. I was given alot of advice, help, and support by fellow leather workers in my home town. I know that not all leather workers have that good fourtune and I think this is a great place to give them that. I personaly feel that there is no room in this trade for negativity, nor in this forum. And as for (copying, stealing, bad ethics, ect.) I will say that I have been given a chance that most people in our trade would love to have. an opertunity to build for a Nationaly Reconized Company. I gained this by my own Skill, Craftmanship, Eye for Quality and Detail, and Ingenuity. You dont get to work for a company as well recognized or as respected as Wilson Combat without ETHICS. period

I dont Have my website up and running is because With the contract that I have with Wilson because of my ETHICS I wont sell any holsters to anyone else and I dont have the time to make enough other leather products to keep a website profitable.

For example I had a saddle made to take to Witcataw Falls In Oct. But the day I set it on display in the shop a man came in and wanted it (next year) any way I never said anyone said I couldnt post anymore I simply stated that Im not here to argue about diffrences or pick fights with anyone. I am here for the betterment of the leather working trade and to learn what I can from those who are more experinced than myself. I felt that the thread was not benifical to any one at that point. I am 26 years of age and own and run a succsessfull leather business in arkansas. I have a lot to learn about the leather business but still feel that I have alot to give as well I am here only for that reason. I was given alot of advice, help, and support by fellow leather workers in my home town. I know that not all leather workers have that good fourtune and I think this is a great place to give them that. I personaly feel that there is no room in this trade for negativity, nor in this forum. And as for (copying, stealing, bad ethics, ect.) I will say that I have been given a chance that most people in our trade would love to have. an opertunity to build for a Nationaly Reconized Company. I gained this by my own Skill, Craftmanship, Eye for Quality and Detail, and Ingenuity. You dont get to work for a company as well recognized or as respected as Wilson Combat without ETHICS. period

Each of us I suspect have their own success stories to tell, and that is, in part, what offers encouragement to others in the leathercraft industry. IMO, the day a person stops willing to learn is the day they stop being a craftsman. And it's my perception that Johanna put this site/forum together to bring people, from all levels of the trade, together as a resource for folks to draw from and contribute to. I know I've learned quite a bit from the postings here and am pursuing other avenues of the leather trade as a result of that.

Yes, I'm sure most people in the leathercraft trade, and on this forum, would feel very fortunate to have the opportunity to make something for a high profile company. I personally believe/hope that most in this trade operate from a higher level of ethics than some have portrayed, as sometimes ethics are glossed over (or hidden) in the pursuit of one's success.

Versatility in being able to make a variety of high quality leather items is key to one's success as well. By pictures you've shown, it appears you have the ability to do that, and I would encourage you (and anyone else) to continue to coss over into the different areas. I wish you continued success.

K-MAN...am I reading you correctly??? If I see a post of an item that I think is pretty cool and I say..."I think that I'll try making one of them there..." will that makes me unethical??

I just want to make sure I understand what you're saying...maybe I should take a shower and come back to read it again...

hey tex

looked at you site

beautiful saddles man

rivals chappells work

Saw your holsters to

leave those revolvers in the dust and start on autos

I would love to see a floral tooled pancake style

for a 1911 frame

also where do you get your afork trees from if you dont mind telling me

I have had a heck of a time finding a decent built wade tree

thnks

Luke

Thank you. Thank you very much. Well, I would like to make a nice carved holster for an auto. Been wanting to do that for a while but I can't seem to talk anybody into it. Maybe I should just do one, post a picture of it on here and see if it P.O.s anyone. ..... just for the heck of it.

As for the slick fork trees........ I have been using Timberline and Quality, (Felkins), mainly, unless a customer requests another maker. They're all hard to get lately. 3-4 months is about what you're looking at, minimum.

Rayban:

I'm not saying that at all. The issue is where a person takes another's product, clones it, and then calls it their own and peddles it that way. For example, if you want to take a holster and make one that looks exactly like one made by Milt Sparks and use it for yourself, I don't think Tony Kanaley would have a problem with that. You cross the line into the less than ethical arena when someone asks you about it and you claim it's your own design and you then sell one (or 100) to them.

Custom holster making is an area that has a constant stress to develop an innovative and safe product. Oftentimes there is many hours spent in the development of those holsters. It's very aggravating to then see someone come along and take all that blood, sweat and tears (so to speak) and try to profit from it.

IMO, if a person wants to sink to that level, then they're embarassing themselves and, in part, the industry.

.........It's very aggravating to then see someone come along and take all that blood, sweat and tears (so to speak) and try to profit from it. ...........

Hey, I think there's already a remedy for that. It's called a Patent.

Hey, I think there's already a remedy for that. It's called a Patent.

That's not as easy as it may seem, and there are different styles of patents. Have you done any research in how to obtain one?

I agree with you K-Man, that to copy someone's work and call it your own is not in good faith...but I also believe the point TEX is making is that unless you DO have a patent on it....your work is fair game once you show it to all on the internet..or anywhere else for that matter.

That's not as easy as it may seem, and there are different styles of patents. Have you done any research in how to obtain one?

Not extensive research but enough to know it's a long expensive proposition and then not permanent anyhow. And as such probably out of the question for most inventions or ideas that won't be mass produced for years under that patent protection so that the profits would cover the expense.

Having said that, you could always fake it. Just put that disclaimer "patent pending" on your stuff and hope nobody challenges it. After all, what's the meaning of "pending"..... or, "is"?

Hey, folks:

In the best interests of camaraderie, I think it's fair to limit comments in this post to the topic at hand: Luke's purse. Luke has kindly posted pics of a fine purse, and here's the place to congratulate him on his work, ask questions, or even comment on "cat explosions" and such. :lol:

We already have a thread where holsters and innovation and such is being discussed. If you have an opinion on that topic, please go on over to that thread to post it. Otherwise, I'm worried that Luke is going to get the impression that members are following him all over the forum to harangue him about a certain holster design.

Thanks, -Alex