Jamesgentry270

Union special machine

I’m not sure of the model but seller says it’s good running shape despite the rust, but does anyone know anything about this machine? And do you think it would sew wallets or belts? Thanks for any info! 

IMG_1158.jpeg

No,get a used Singer 111w,Consew 225,226,Juki 562 or 563 & you'll be alot happier & do a better job of sewing than this one can.This was made to sew clothes using thin thread.

Edited by CowboyBob

5 minutes ago, CowboyBob said:

No,get a used Singer 111w,Consew 225,226,Juki 562 or 563 & you'll be alot happier & do a better job of sewing than this one can.This was made to sew clothes using thin thread.

Thanks brother! Im new to the world of machines I’m just throwing darts at the wall! Thanks for the list of machines I’ll start hunting! 

On 12/4/2023 at 12:58 PM, CowboyBob said:

I am going to check out a 111w153 Friday but do you know what is the biggest thread and needle that machine can handle? Or what I would need? 

1 hour ago, Jamesgentry270 said:

I am going to check out a 111w153 Friday but do you know what is the biggest thread and needle that machine can handle? Or what I would need? 

I have a 111w153. I mostly use #69 or #92 thread in it. But, I occasionally thread it with #138, which is the maximum it can practically handle. This calls for a #23 needle, which requires a hell of a lot of torque to punch it through 1/4 inch of veg-tan leather.

1 hour ago, Wizcrafts said:

I have a 111w153. I mostly use #69 or #92 thread in it. But, I occasionally thread it with #138, which is the maximum it can practically handle. This calls for a #23 needle, which requires a hell of a lot of torque to punch it through 1/4 inch of veg-tan leather.

Is there anything I need to do to give it that torque? So #23 needle and #138 thread is as big as I need to go? Thanks wizcrafts

On 12/4/2023 at 9:54 AM, Jamesgentry270 said:

but seller says ..." it’s good running shape despite the rust ",

LOL... The machine in the Pic. looks like someone Pee'd on a old Penny .

3 hours ago, nylonRigging said:

LOL... The machine in the Pic. looks like someone Pee'd on a old Penny .

You’re not wrong!! Haha 

On 12/5/2023 at 8:32 PM, Jamesgentry270 said:

Is there anything I need to do to give it that torque? So #23 needle and #138 thread is as big as I need to go? Thanks wizcrafts

Yeah; get a 2:1 or 3:1 speed reducer.