DeWayne Hayes

Can I dye brown nylon thread black?

Hi folks, 

I just made another pistol holster and was intending to dye it English Bridle brown, so I used brown nylon thread.  However, I'm considering maybe dying this one black instead. 

So, I'm wondering, of course, will the thread take on the black dye, or when all is said and done, will I have brown stitches on black? 

Thanks,

DeWayne 

Screen Shot 2023-12-04 at 4.57.21 PM.png

It will "take" the dye . . . but over time it will come out . . . but with the darkness of that thread . . . I seriously doubt if anyone besides you and me would ever know the difference . . . and most likely I'll forget by next week.

Generally speaking . . . the only thing I've found that will make a serious dent in dyeing nylon or any of the other similar lines . . . is the black permanent marker pens . . . grey with a black top.

After dying it . . . if the brown shows up pretty heavy . . . try one of those pen/markers.

May God bless,

Dwight

Yeah that! I've done holsters then dyed them and the 277 bonded nylon took the color of the dye.

Edited by Hags

As I said, I went ahead with my English Bridle Pro Dye.  After I finished with leather balm/atom wax, I note there's a tiny scar right in the geographic dead center of this holster that didn't take dye. Couldn't have planned that if I tried. But I reckon I can live with it. If I tried to fix it, I'd no doubt create something more noticeable, and as the holster ages, it'll probably get scuffed and aged anyway. 

DeWayne

Screen Shot 2023-12-05 at 8.58.51 AM.png

4 hours ago, DeWayne Hayes said:

Screen Shot 2023-12-05 at 8.59.30 AM.png

That is a good job you did there . . . and I like the dye color . . . I used to really like the British Tan . . . but got to doing a bunch of stuff in Saddle Tan . . . and I'm beginning to move over to it a bit more.  The saddle tan is very similar to what you did there.

And three cheers for the way you closed up the trigger guard . . . it really bothers me seeing folks leave the trigger unguarded and open . . . plus I'm a big fan of thumb breaks.  Not so much on suicide straps . . . 

It gets 5 stars in my book . . . and I would be some kind of seriously tempted to pop a whole in that scar . . . slip a small concho on there . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

Sharp looking holster, both in design and color choices (dye & thread).  I can absolutely see it only getting better looking as it "ages in"...such is the beauty of leather. Thanks for sharing!

4 hours ago, Dwight said:

That is a good job you did there . . . and I like the dye color . . . I used to really like the British Tan . . . but got to doing a bunch of stuff in Saddle Tan . . . and I'm beginning to move over to it a bit more.  The saddle tan is very similar to what you did there.

And three cheers for the way you closed up the trigger guard . . . it really bothers me seeing folks leave the trigger unguarded and open . . . plus I'm a big fan of thumb breaks.  Not so much on suicide straps . . . 

It gets 5 stars in my book . . . and I would be some kind of seriously tempted to pop a whole in that scar . . . slip a small concho on there . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks guys.  And Dwight, I can't claim any credit for the holster design, I reverse engineered a Bianchi Model 19L holster to make a pattern, but I made it a cross-draw rather than forward tilted design. Couldn't find a cross-draw with a thumb break that I liked, so had to roll my own! 

And as to the scar (or whatever that spot is that wouldn't take dye), I'm happy to say, I loaded a toothpick with some dye and slowly pecked at it until it blended perfectly and disappeared. I don't know why it didn't take dye when I sprayed, but for whatever reason, I'm happy that I could fix it - my OCD would have caused me to look at that spot every time!  

Screen Shot 2023-12-05 at 5.50.35 PM.png