Sign in to follow this  
EmilyRose

HELP ME LEARN WHAT TO LOOK FOR

Hey— thanks for clicking! I’m a new member, in my thirties and joined to learn more so I could buy a used custom saddle confidently. Nice to meet you here! When eye -balling a saddle what are some things you have learned to pay special attention to? I love reading on this forum and have tried to deduct what separates good, better, best. Below is a custom saddle from a maker who is no longer in business ( according to seller) and builder has zero online presence. 

I love details and I absolutely would love any insight from leatherworkers and saddle builders on what to pay attention to, other then straightforward basics when looking at a saddle for sale. This saddle is a 2 days drive, and if I could find a website, Facebook page, business card, or another saddle made by the same maker, to compare , I wouldn’t feel so clueless.

1384BF71-D585-4BD3-BB00-81412DD5F6D5.jpeg

7D6E62EF-9BCD-49C4-879B-404AC8D0E6C5.jpeg

9 hours ago, EmilyRose said:

Hey— thanks for clicking! I’m a new member, in my thirties and joined to learn more so I could buy a used custom saddle confidently. Nice to meet you here! When eye -balling a saddle what are some things you have learned to pay special attention to? I love reading on this forum and have tried to deduct what separates good, better, best. Below is a custom saddle from a maker who is no longer in business ( according to seller) and builder has zero online presence. 

I love details and I absolutely would love any insight from leatherworkers and saddle builders on what to pay attention to, other then straightforward basics when looking at a saddle for sale. This saddle is a 2 days drive, and if I could find a website, Facebook page, business card, or another saddle made by the same maker, to compare , I wouldn’t feel so clueless.

1384BF71-D585-4BD3-BB00-81412DD5F6D5.jpeg

7D6E62EF-9BCD-49C4-879B-404AC8D0E6C5.jpeg

Don Gonzales has some great videos addressing your questions.

39 minutes ago, Leather2 said:

Don Gonzales has some great videos addressing your questions.

Here is a link if you need one.

https://dgsaddlery.com/

10 hours ago, EmilyRose said:

I’m a new member, in my thirties and joined to learn more so I could buy a used custom saddle confidently.

Moved to  Home > Specialty Leatherwork > Saddles and Tack > General Saddlery Discussion