MarioR1995

Thread problems on pfaff 1245

Hey guys. I’m sorry to make another topic but for the life of me I can’t figure out this machine. I followed the manual and set the needle height then also re timed the machine. But now I’m getting a problem with the thread. The top looks fine but the bottom looks like it’s not getting pulled up enough because you can still see the knot. I changed out bobbin cases and still get the same results. 

IMG_4555.jpeg

Edited by MarioR1995

Well I decided to make sure everything was set correctly AGAIN. Needle height is set 15mm from BTC, set hook as close as possible on the middle of the scarf for the up stroke, and now it’s just skipping stitches. I never had a machine this difficult before.

I don't think it was a timing issue until your last post, you might have overthought it and ended up messing the timing anyway.  Initially it looks like the black thread tension is too low.  Is your bobbin threaded correctly?  Also, is the black thread wrapped around the post at the top of the machine?  Do you have the Pfaff manual?  There is one for the 1245 that I used to work on my 145 and 545, great walkthrough to setting everything up.  

1245-1246 adjustment manual.pdf

So what all started this is that one day I hit reverse and the the top thread would keep breaking. I got the timing fixed as far going forward now. But when I hit reverse it now skips thread. I should also mention the red is the bobbin and the black is the tension. I had the tension for the black thread so tight but it still looks like it’s not even pull the red thread all the way up. Almost like it’s not completing a lock stitch in the center ? 

Are you using the correct size needle for the thread?  I would agree that the stitch is not being completed correctly, but what doesn't make sense is you are saying the top thread (black) is very tight and the bottom (red) is loose I would expect to see the red thread popping up through the top rather than the black.  Is your tension correct on your bobbin? I have found in the past that if I just loosen up both top and bottom threads and start over, it sometimes helps out.

If all else fails, just donate that machine to me ..... Lol!!!

I was using a size 20 needle with 92 bonded polyester thread from Amann. It’s so weird because this machine was working fine and then bam this issue. I had been messing with it for 10 hours straight so I decided to just accepted defeat and finally took to it to a repair shop. It’s weird because kept thinking why isn’t the black thread pulling the black knot back up, but of course now that i took the machine already I’m wondering if it isn’t the needle height, like I’m thinking maybe the needle was not going up enough on the up stroke maybe that’s why it wasn’t pulling the top thread all the way back up. 

5 hours ago, fibersport said:

Are you using the correct size needle for the thread?  I would agree that the stitch is not being completed correctly, but what doesn't make sense is you are saying the top thread (black) is very tight and the bottom (red) is loose I would expect to see the red thread popping up through the top rather than the black.  Is your tension correct on your bobbin? I have found in the past that if I just loosen up both top and bottom threads and start over, it sometimes helps out.

If all else fails, just donate that machine to me ..... Lol!!!

Edited by MarioR1995

Let us know what it turns out to be with teh repair shop.  Don't forget, I'd be willing to accept a donation ;)

The first thing I would start with is shortening the stitch length. That long of a stitch isn't helping out the cause of the tensions.

The length of stitch should NOT effect the tension.  If the needle hole is too small, that will affect the stitch tension because knot will get hung up on the bottom of the piece you are sewing.

glenn

7 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

The length of stitch should NOT effect the tension.  If the needle hole is too small, that will affect the stitch tension because knot will get hung up on the bottom of the piece you are sewing.

glenn

How could it not? The longer distance between each stitch will affect the top bottom pull because of the distance. A long stitch will be looser than a short one or are we not talking about the same thing? I'm looking at it as you do a long stitch on a curved seam and flip it inside out it's going to look loose where the shorter stitch will be tighter because of the distance.

Never in my 45 plus years of sewing have I had the length of the stitch affect the tension.  Sorry.

glenn