SeanRoss217

singer 111w103 issues

Hi everyone. I'm  looking into acquiring a family members old singer. The machine looks to be in good shape other than the "feed regulating spindle". Would anyone know what would cause the shaft to collapse and twist like this, I'm assuming someone cranked down on it at some point. I also noticed that the spindle will not go back into position now that I unscrewed it out. Any help would be great.

sew.jpg

sew1.jpg

sew3.jpg

sew4.jpg

If you can get that spindle back in there,if you can't just get a piece of metal the size of the spindle,taper the end ,push it in all the way & you can take out screw BB & use screw CC to adjust the stitch length.The spindle will go in alot easier if you backed the CC screw.

111w stitch length adl old style 001.jpg

I've been watching this thread, curious about the answer myself.

So, I wonder why the provided manual page looks like a solid rod as opposed to the OP's part that appears to have a slot in the center.  It looked to me like someone had brute forced it and twisted the rod, causing that wasp waisted look. I thought maybe the distortion was keeping the original part from going back in.

@AlZilla It's made that way so it has  tension on the outside & doesn't turn as your sewing,it got bent because someone tried jamming it in there w/o backing out the screws to release the tension.

On 12/24/2023 at 4:54 PM, CowboyBob said:

It's made that way so it has  tension on the outside & doesn't turn as your sewing,it got bent because someone tried jamming it in there w/o backing out the screws to release the tension.

I thought it looked like some strong arm tactics got involved. Thank you! 

Thanks all. I ended up getting the rod to slide back in by sticking a screw driver into this sliding part (yellow arrow pointing to part in picture) and spinning the drive wheel. Went right back in no issues but appears to not be controlling the stich spacing anymore. I will machine a new rod this coming weekend. Hopefully this solves this old machines issues. I have heard there is a way to adjust the stich spacing from the bottom of the machine but have not been able to locate directions on how this is done. Does anyone here know?

111w.png

cowboybob: does your company sell these new?

AlZilla: yes someone for sure twisted the you know what out of it.  could this be from not holding the button down by the walking foot while turning the knob? or does that button actually do anything

28 minutes ago, SeanRoss217 said:

cowboybob: does your company sell these new?

AlZilla: yes someone for sure twisted the you know what out of it.  could this be from not holding the button down by the walking foot while turning the knob? or does that button actually do anything

@SeanRoss217 I wouldn't think not holding the button would have anything to do with it. Not holding the button doesn't do anything.  Pushing it locks that bottom shaft to allow the stitch length to change.  I don't know if something else would be seized and somebody took a pair of pliers to the knob.

If you want to get @CowboyBob 's attention you need to do the trick of starting with the @ sign and picking his name from the drop down list.

@AlZilla thank you, I was wondering how that worked. I will mess with it some more this coming weekend and report back if im able to figure anything out

@CowboyBob does your company sell the feed regulating spindle for the 111w103

7 hours ago, SeanRoss217 said:

@AlZilla thank you, I was wondering how that worked. I will mess with it some more this coming weekend and report back if im able to figure anything out

Sorry,they have been discontinued yrs ago,usually the threads are broken on the shaft making the spindle unusable.If you release the tension(or take out screw BB & back screw CC out)  on the stitch mechanism it(spindle) will slide all the way in & use screw CC to adjust the length & then reinsert CC to lock it from backing out.

On 12/26/2023 at 10:47 PM, SeanRoss217 said:

@AlZilla I just saw 3 of these spindles on ebay

6 minutes ago, CowboyBob said:

@AlZilla I just saw 3 of these spindles on ebay

No, that would be a @SeanRoss217 alert. Hopefully he sees this and gets on it before it's too late!

I'm just a curious onlooker in this thread.

Edited by AlZilla

7 minutes ago, AlZilla said:

No, that would be a @SeanRoss217 alert. Hopefully he sees this and gets on it before it's too late!

I'm just a curious onlooker in this thread.

Oops!Thanks for catching it.

Edited by CowboyBob

@CowboyBobi actually saw those on eBay but was to slow. Unfortunately I missed them. Hopefully a few more are found and put up for sale