Sarina

How long do I really need to let Pro Dye dry before applying finish?

I have read that people will wait anywhere from 20 minutes to 36 hours for their pro dye to dry before applying finish. I know a lot can depend on your environment and application method, but I can't imagine that environment and application method will make the drying time go from minutes to several hours.

I cut my oil dye 50/50 with denatured alcohol and I apply it with a wool dauber. I usually do 2 coats, but sometimes I do 3.

How long more or less should I be letting the dye dry before applying finish?

When I dip dye I typically give it a few hours depending. If using a dober 30 minutes is usually fine. That seems to work for me. 

On 1/8/2024 at 9:02 AM, Sarina said:

I have read that people will wait anywhere from 20 minutes to 36 hours for their pro dye to dry before applying finish. I know a lot can depend on your environment and application method, but I can't imagine that environment and application method will make the drying time go from minutes to several hours.

I cut my oil dye 50/50 with denatured alcohol and I apply it with a wool dauber. I usually do 2 coats, but sometimes I do 3.

How long more or less should I be letting the dye dry before applying finish?

Hi there
The drying time for your dye before applying finish can vary based on factors like temperature, humidity, and dye concentration. Typically, with a 50/50 mix of oil dye and denatured alcohol applied in 2-3 coats using a wool dauber, the dye should dry within 30 minutes to a few hours. It's advisable to wait until the surface feels dry to the touch and any excess solvent has evaporated before applying the finish, ensuring a proper bond between the dye and the finish.

Since I only dip dye . . . I settled on 24 hours back years ago . . . and follow thru.  Makes for easy planning on my work load.

One thing you HAVE TO DO is make sure it is dry enough that you can buff off the excess dye pigment.

And, . . . yes . . . there will always be some.

That is what makes for a really nice looking piece of finished leather.  Folks who do not buff off that pigment leave a grainy . . . ugly piece of leather work that will always feel like it has sand glued to the top of it.  THAT is the dye.

Buffing too soon can streak it . . . so wait until it is completely dry.

May God bless,

Dwight