Sign in to follow this  
Danotriglide

Embossed leather

Hey everybody, is the ark finished? I’ve been using embossed leather to make some wallets. I got some embossed leather from the Amazon jungle last year and was very pleased with what I got, it was pleasant to look at, semi rigid/stiff, and each piece was at least 8.5”x11”. To my bad luck the same stuff isn’t available unless I wait a month. I’ve tried other vendors there and what they sent me was limp as a wet rag and/or nowhere near the stated dimensions. Online I’ve seen some great looking stuff but scared it’s not going to be as stiff as I want. The nearest Tandy is over 90 miles from me, miles are no problem, I just have to take 85 thru Gastonia and you can ret assured you may be in a parking lot for a long time. Soooooo…….some online stores list their product as having a “soft” or “medium” hand, I’d love to find something about as firm as poster paper. Is that a “medium” hand?  Any suggestions where to buy? Oh….Ive searched Etsy and seen a few things but I can’t get an answer to my questions from them.

Thanks,

Dano

3 hours ago, Danotriglide said:

Dano

You should add your location to your profile so you get answers that are applicable to where you are located.  Appears from your IP address that you are in South Carolina.  Makes a difference versus Europe, Australia, China, etc.

4 hours ago, Danotriglide said:

Hey everybody, is the ark finished? I’ve been using embossed leather to make some wallets. I got some embossed leather from the Amazon jungle last year and was very pleased with what I got, it was pleasant to look at, semi rigid/stiff, and each piece was at least 8.5”x11”. To my bad luck the same stuff isn’t available unless I wait a month. I’ve tried other vendors there and what they sent me was limp as a wet rag and/or nowhere near the stated dimensions. Online I’ve seen some great looking stuff but scared it’s not going to be as stiff as I want. The nearest Tandy is over 90 miles from me, miles are no problem, I just have to take 85 thru Gastonia and you can ret assured you may be in a parking lot for a long time. Soooooo…….some online stores list their product as having a “soft” or “medium” hand, I’d love to find something about as firm as poster paper. Is that a “medium” hand?  Any suggestions where to buy? Oh….Ive searched Etsy and seen a few things but I can’t get an answer to my questions from them.

Thanks,

Dano

Might look into rocky mountain leather. They list their leather by firmness, among other things. But at least you can see what firmness the leather is unlike other places. 

I'm thinking you want something from a minimum of 7/10 firmness/hand. 8/10 firmness/hand would probably be better suited. 

I am just a newbie, so I maybe totally wrong.