Hello!

I've been researching all the leather cutting options for a while now.

So I am new at leathercrafting but I would like to find a way to make perfect cuts so I could make good products.

I have very little space - 1.5x1.5 sq.m. and I need a little machine for that purpose.

The options I researched are as follows:

• Laser
    • To use a laser for cutting skin, it is necessary that the laser has a power of at least 10 watts. Mandatory should be added air assist to get less skin burns, encloser, as well as perfect ventilation. My space is easy open air area and I would not have problem with ventilating. Lasers that would work for me are the following:
  • CNC with drag knife - looks good but very big and loudly. Not compatible for me.
  • Cricut Maker 3 & Cameo 5 - both look amazing. They can cut leather but I don`t know. i would like to know your opinion about that those two.
  • Sizzix - I find on amazon "superdant" store. There cutting dies for leather which work with sizzix - 1/2/3/4 . But that`s it. I don`t know if they can make it custom patterns and I have doubts for the quality.
  • Clicker press - I think that would be the best option for me to buy low cost clicker press. I was looking that ones by vevor: 1/2/3 . I have problem with their weight - around 30-40 kg. I was looking for a smaller by zonesun like that ones: 1/2/3 - but I would by a machine for 120-200 $ and pay 200 $ shipping ....
  • Arbor press - looks good for 50-100 $ I could buy an arbor press 1 or 2 tons. But than I have to order a base and the only good option I found is that one - link . The cost is 120 $ without taxes and shipping so no thanks. 

I would like to start with wallets and small stuff - no bigger than a medium bag. I try to cut by hand but the finish is not good enough for me. I don`t like it and got frustrated. 

I'm already seriously confused about which path to choose to start with. I ask for your opinion.

8 hours ago, Georgi said:

First off what continent are you on so members close to your location could help narrow suppliers.

To help sort out what would be good options for a 1.5 x 1.5 sq. meter area:

i) How thick of leather are you planning on cutting.

ii) What is the running length of the largest die you want to use. You can determine roughly the tonnage that will be needed by the formula I use.

Formula:

F (pressing force needed) = S (shear strength of leather) (2900psi / 2) x L cutting (running) length of die X T (thickness) of leather in inches X Sf safety factor of 2

Example:

10 oz leather with a 3 in square die which gives you 12 inch running length of die
F = 1450 x 12 x 0.156 x 2 => 5428.8 pounds (pressing force)
5428.8 pounds = 2.71 US tons or 2.42 Imperial tons

I looked at I think most options out there for the largest size die that I want to use would require just over 4 Imperial tons (4.5 US tons) pressing power. I came to the conclusion that a 20 ton shop press would be the way to go with way more pressing power then I would need and it still will be able to be used for the normal things that a shop press was designed for. This for me is the least expensive option.

kgg

8 hours ago, Georgi said:

As kgg says above, you need to provide your location to get the best information for your area.  From your IP address, you appear to be in Bulgaria.  You can and should add your location to your profile.

Hello! Thank you for replies. 

Yep, I am in Bulgaria, Europe.

We have VEVOR in here. I ordered all the tools from Germany, USA (amazon) and China (Kemovancraft & Owden) so far. 

May be I mislead you by saying 1.5 sq. m. I meant - that is the space I am using for leather crafting for now. I want to make small goods like wallets so the sizes of dies would be up to 18 cm.

The leather I have for that kind of projects is 3-5 Oz. veg tan. By the formula I calculate 1 ton arbor press would be enough for now.

Thank you!

There's an option you haven't considered. A decent clicker press should be your ultimate goal so, given your space restrictions I would spend your money on clicker dies. With a soft plastic or rubber mallet you can easily place your leather over the upside down die and tap round it. I promise you it works. That way you can build a collection of dies until you find the right press for you.

5 hours ago, toxo said:

With a soft plastic or rubber mallet you can easily place your leather over the upside down die and tap round it.

I like that idea.

kgg