lonewolf17

timing problem Durkopp CL18?

I think my Durkopp is suffering from bad timing but how do i set the timing???

Sometimes i can sew 5-10 cm before i got a neat little birds nest on the underside and snapping the tread, other times i i get the birds nest after 0 mm and of course that snapped tread. Some times it feels like it hits something in the back  but i don't where it doesn't sound like it is at the needle

Gammal Durkopp symskin23 .jpg

Sorry, I cannot be any help, but Im sure someone will be able too! I just wanted to comment what a beautiful machine this is! The painting looks amazing! 

Constabulary on this site rebuilt one years ago and there is a post about  it.  Also, there is one I think on Utube as to how to sew on it.  In my opinion and I rebuild shoepatchers, that one needs some serious cleaning

before I would attempt to sew and time it.  It needs cleaning in the head and thread path.  Too much grease build up and old oil on it.   I think I have a manual on it.

On a good note, You have the slide on table and drawer which are rare to find  these days.

glenn

Maybe it is not threaded correctly. I unfortunately cannot give you any timing instructions. I rebuild a Class 18 approx 5 years ago and sold the machine later. That was the only class 18 I ever have worked with. I never touched one again. The Class 18 hook system is very unique and not comparable with "elastic" hooks as you find them in common patcher machines.

This was my restoration journey (making 1 out of 2) back then maybe you find something that helps you. On page 2 I posted a video showing how to thread the machine all the moving parts and the cycle of how the hook system works / the hook it catching the thread loop . Hope this helps.

Edited by Constabulary