Guys & gals I'm wondering? Can Tandy Eco Flo Super Sheen be used as a antiquing resist? I'm wanting to use the Fiebings antique gel & curious if this is possible. I'm curious if is leave it full strength or dilute/thin it to 50/50.

Thanks. 

Edited by DieselTech

The Tandy site says it can be used as a resist. 

Not sure about the dilution needed though. They do not say it needs to be diluted when they describe the method to use it as a resist. Maybe you could test it on some scrap?

https://tandyleather.com/products/eco-flo-super-shene

I can't speak for eco flo super sheen but I did my first antique on a couple knife sheaths the other day and used  feibings antique and tan kote as a resist and it worked good, i should have a couple pictures tomorrow.

24 minutes ago, SUP said:

The Tandy site says it can be used as a resist. 

Not sure about the dilution needed though. They do not say it needs to be diluted when they describe the method to use it as a resist. Maybe you could test it on some scrap?

Thanks I'll do some test samples & see what happens. 

I haven’t used it as a resist specifically but have used it a little bit as a finish coat. It’s already fairly thin and dried very rapidly, without leaving residue. The sheath I used it on just looks like it had some extra gloss added to the color, but it seems to resist water well nonetheless. I would guess, therefore, that it doesn’t need to be diluted, but I haven’t tried specifically yet. Do follow up with your results. 

2 hours ago, bladegrinder said:

I can't speak for eco flo super sheen but I did my first antique on a couple knife sheaths the other day and used  feibings antique and tan kote as a resist and it worked good, i should have a couple pictures tomorrow.

Thanks bladegrinder. I put the eco flo super sheen on full strength, then I used fiebings antique gel & let is set 10minutes then i buffed it off. It seemed to take well. 

Now I'm letting antique gel cure out & will coat it 1 more time with eco flo super sheen.

We shall see how it turns out. Now dont laugh. 

20 minutes ago, Mablung said:

I haven’t used it as a resist specifically but have used it a little bit as a finish coat. It’s already fairly thin and dried very rapidly, without leaving residue. The sheath I used it on just looks like it had some extra gloss added to the color, but it seems to resist water well nonetheless. I would guess, therefore, that it doesn’t need to be diluted, but I haven’t tried specifically yet. Do follow up with your results. 

I put the super sheen on full strength. I will keep everyone posted. 

Thanks. 

As promised. Here is my very 1st poor attempt at antiquing leather. It dont look too bad. 

I kinda dig the look actually. I got 1 more step of rubbing in some Skidmores leather balm.

I think that will darken it up a touch more. 

This is full strength eco flo super sheen, over veg tan leather, then fiebings dark brown antique gel applied & allowed to sit 10 minutes then buffed clean. 

Then I re applied eco flo super sheen to the leather panel. 

Heres a couple pics. 

phpuhBgnsPM.jpg

phpUTiqMWAM.jpg

phpoIjDIvPM.jpg

phpDFaln5AM.jpg

Edited by DieselTech
Forgot the pictures duh!