Sign in to follow this  
Daggrim

discussion of glues here

I noticed a discussion of glues here, but it seemeed inconclusive. I'm making some medieval turnshoes...think moccasins...but I'd like to add a heavier outer sole to the 5 oz sole. I consider sewing as beyond my capability, so I hope to be able to glue it on. Barge cement seems good, but I'm looking for something even stronger. Anybody ever tried that Shoe Goo?

Daggrim

I use Shoe Goo all the time for many different repairs and it is tough as nails. I used to fly fish and used it to attach felt soles to my waders. Never had a sole come loose! I would use some type of form in the shape of a foot to press down on the glued shoe and sole to even out the glue so there's no hard spots or lumps in the finished shoe. It's a little pricey but should work just fine.

Find a supplier that sells "Masters" that is the best but use plenty of ventalation.

Randy

Daggrim... if you're making turn shoes, I'm assuming you're going to be sewing the rest of the shoe together, not glueing it all, yes ? Because if you're going to try and glue together the whole thing, it would be better to learn to sew a bit.

And if you are sewing the shoe and just looking to glue on the sole, you can do that, but it won't be that much harder to stitch it on as well.

Just remember to put the sole on *after* you turn the shoe rightside out. Otherwise it will not be so good :head_hurts_kr:

Thanks for the posts Peter and Randy. Yes, I do sew the shoes together...or rather I just glue them and bring it to a shoe repair shop for the stitching. I hope to make these in some quantity and sell them, so I can't take the time to be as accurate as the Living History people, and hnd sew. I don't have a sewing machine of my own, yet, but it's in my plans.

I never asked my shoe repair guy if he could sew the sole on afterwards! Duh! I just assumed it couldn't be done. But actually, it would probably be easy if he did it before I sewed up the side of the shoe. Hmm...I'll ask him tomorrow. Thanks!!!

Dag

Find a supplier that sells "Masters" that is the best but use plenty of ventalation.

Randy

Randy...Jeeze, I Googled Masters Glue and found nothing I could use. Does it only come in caulk tubes? Dag

Barge glue ?, Masters glue ? (6 to 1 -1/2 dozen to the other)

follow the directions clean and prep the surfaces, you will have good luck

with either.

The person that will be sewing the soles for you, would he not sell you some glue?