Sign in to follow this  
jarheaddoc

Sewing hair on vs. hair off deer hide

A bucket list project is to make a blanket out of deer hides that I've worked from green skins to finished product. How much difference is there between sewing a hair on deer hide vs. a piece of leather made from deer skin? My plan is to use a strip of leather to edge join the pieces together wherever there's an edge, whether it's horizontal or vertical.

Nice to know stuff to help with any answers:

• All my deer hide stuff  so far has been tanned with orange bottle tanning agent. Recommendations for a better tanning agent?
  • I have a Chinese leather Shoe patcher sewing machine

Thanks for any input.

I won't go into sewing them. I WILL tell you that hair on deer, ANY deer, will shed forever. Until it is bald. Deer hair is hollow and breaks off continually.

There is no way , no treatment, no anything that will stop it. And you will have hair everywhere.

I did not know that deer hair did that! I appreciate you pointing that out to me, though. Does this happen simply because the hair is weak due to being hollow?

16 hours ago, jarheaddoc said:

I did not know that deer hair did that! I appreciate you pointing that out to me, though. Does this happen simply because the hair is weak due to being hollow?

Yes, the hairs dry out and simply break off. One of my rendezvous buddies had one that  he threw over his chair. It was comfortable, but he had hair all over his clothes, in his food, everywhere. And I know of no way to stop it.

Thanks for the explanation. I'll just use the hides for leather, that's all. A pair of gloves and a shop apron are on the list, also, so the hides will get used up as I go along.