Sign in to follow this  
Daggrim

want to waterproof leather helmets

I make leather helmets and sell them at Renaissance Faires, and I'm looking for a way to waterproof them, or at least make them water resistant. I've seen some get rather spotty looking from a light drizzle. I'm not too concerned about the leather getting soft, as it's hardened in hot water. Mostly, I'm concerned about the finish getting ugly. I've tried Atom Wax, Fiebings Leather Sheen spray, Aussie Leather Balm, and Eco-Flo Satin Sheen, and have gotten inconclusive results. The Leather Sheen is an acrylic, but in my rain tests, it didn't seem to repel water. Actually the Atom Wax seemed to work better, but I don't even know what Atom Wax is made out of. I'm trying to avoid the acrylic products, if possible, because they're so waay not from the right time period. Thanks in advance for the helpfulness I see as characteristic of this Forum.

Daggrim

I might be wrong in this and if so i will be corrected... but the waxes should be Bees wax.... from the period and is good to water repel.......

what i have done is slather the wax onto me leather item... without a finish of course... and then use a heat gun to melt the wax and the leather absorbs the melted wax. you have to reapply the wax periodically, depending on exposure...

If you're not particular about "period correctness", probably the most water-resistant finish you can use would be lacquer. Try some Neat-Lac applied in three or four very light coats, and let it dry good between coats.

If period correctness is a major consideration, probably wax is the best you have to choose from. More coats might help.

Kate

Thanks for the replies. All those things should be in my bag of tricks, I suppose. The Aussie Leather Balm is a soft wax that contains some beeswax. I dunno how much, or what the other ingredients are. No info on the jar. I use it on all my helms, and then after about a day, give it a coat of Atom wax for sheen.

If anybody has any more experience for finishing items that will be outdoors, please let me know.

Daggrim

i use pecard leather dressing on all my motorcycle seats and bags. it blows the aussie leather conditioner away

Hi Kate,

I use Pecard's, have since I ran across a tub of it 8 years ago (been through a few tubs). However for true period work I use Dubbin, I don't use a lot, a 4.4 oz shoe polish tin lasts forever for me. Manufacturer is Kelly's (a division of Fiebing). There is a formula you can mix up, but I would have to search for it (it's in a notebook SOMEWHERE), and given the trouble in getting period ingredients, $2 for a 4.4 oz tin seems easier and if not doing boots and saddles for a whole cavalry unit somewhat cheaper.

Art.

If you're not particular about "period correctness", probably the most water-resistant finish you can use would be lacquer. Try some Neat-Lac applied in three or four very light coats, and let it dry good between coats.

If period correctness is a major consideration, probably wax is the best you have to choose from. More coats might help.

Kate

Pecards is the only way to go. It's gooey so you might want to hit it with a blowdryer to get into nooks and crannies.