Sign in to follow this  
Csahirad

Help with Singer 136W100

Recently picked up a Singer 136W100 and tried it for a few minutes and it worked great. All of a sudden it's getting jammed. The bobbin case is coming into contact with some other hook I don't know the purpose of. This wasn't happening a few minutes ago. I tried removing the face plate and rotating the hook to the left so that it doesn't make contact but that makes the lock stitch not form. Any help is appreciate!

Link to Reddit with the video of the problem:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vintagesewing/s/04QJw32DQP

@Csahirad, the hook is spinning because the tab sticking out of it is NOT under the throat plate. Also called the Needle Plate, it has a cutout area that secures that tab and allows it to move sideways a few degrees, just enough to clear #138 thread. Loosen the two screws on the throat plate, rotate the shuttle until the tab finds the cutout under the plate, then tighten down the screws.

01a.jpg

02a.jpg

@Wizcrafts Are you saying I need to adjust the two screws in the bottom of the second image to rotate the highlighted piece in the first image? If I do that the clearance is very tight (the pieces of metal slightly graze each other but they can pass). What is the purpose of the piece circled in red? When I try to sew after making this adjustment the needle still doesn't pick up the bobbin thread and the lock stitches don't form. The timing seems to be good because the hook is catching the loop from the need thread but that loop is not forming a stitch with the bobbin thread. 

Edited by Northmount
downloaded 3rd party hosted files and saved here

2 hours ago, Csahirad said:

Are you saying I need to adjust the two screws in the bottom of the second image to rotate the highlighted piece in the first image?

Yes. Loosen those two screws so you can lift up the throat plate enough to slide the tab on the shuttle into the recess on the bottom of the throat plate. Once it's inside that section, screw the plate back down. It will keep the hook from rotating as it does now. I can't help you any further until much later.

@Csahirad 

Please post your photos here.  3rd party hosted photos frequently disappear due to changes in the host's policies, host out of business, users moving files, deleting files, closing their account or the account expiring.  When this happens, the post becomes worthless to all future users who are researching or looking for help to solve a problem.

If your files are too large to post here due to file size restrictions, you need to resize your files to fit.  Follow this link for some helps and suggestions.  https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/15122-how-to-post-pictures-on-lw/?do=findComment&comment=551171 There are lots of Apps, software, and online tools available on the web, or even built into your device to enable you to reduce your file sizes.  800 pixels in the longest dimension is quite adequate.  Smart phone screens and many monitors don't display high res files in high resolution.  People that live on the fringes of the internet appreciate smaller file sizes and high res photos may take from 10 minutes to hours to download.

The throat plate covers the feed wheel on the bottom. It has a detente that holds the tab on the shuttle, with a little side wigglke room for the thread to pass by it. The area you circled in red is athe pull back lever that pulls the shuttle back a little to assist letting the top thread clear the tab on the shuttle. It comes into play after you get the tab under the throat plate.

Thank you @Wizcrafts I appreciate the help as I'm still very new to this. I was able to have the bobbin case clear the part I circled in red like you mentioned but still the lock stitch won't form and needle will not pull up the bobbin thread. Here is a pic of how I have the bobbin wound. Also a video to the upper thread trying to catch the bobbin thread: https://imgur.com/ETfsDRw (if we could upload videos directly here I would)

IMG_7435.thumb.jpeg.ce8200ffdbc3025103605539ea68a467.jpeg

2 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

The throat plate covers the feed wheel on the bottom. It has a detente that holds the tab on the shuttle, with a little side wigglke room for the thread to pass by it. The area you circled in red is athe pull back lever that pulls the shuttle back a little to assist letting the top thread clear the tab on the shuttle. It comes into play after you get the tab under the throat plate.

Ah I think I was misunderstanding at first. Is the bobbin case not supposed to rotate as the hook/shuttle rotates?