jarheaddoc

Basic Leatherworking tools

What are the basic tools I need to get started with leather cutting? I am right now only doing straight line simple stuff on the chinese shoe patcher sewing machine I have. Xacto knife and rotary cutter? Scissors? Self-healing mat? Band-aids?

Thanks

Anti-tetanus first! :) and Band-aids. 

For cutting, a plain Stanley knife works best for me. Of course, round knives work well too and a whole slew of other items, but you can get those over time. A Stanley knife or something similar, is something we all usually have at home and the blades are easily replaceable and inexpensive, so that we always have a very sharp edge which is vital. An Xacto knife is good too but the heft of a Stanley knife is nice when cutting leather of some thickness. Rotary cutters are convenient as well but you need a bit of practice. The blade on mine actually broke when using an ordinary steel ruler with it!

A thicker ruler is because, at least for me, an ordinary metal ruler I run over with the knife and damage the blade. Could cause serious cuts as well.

A self healing mat of course. I think Owden has a set of 3 sizes for less than $20.00 on Amazon. These are smaller sizes - A2, A3 and A4 if I am not mistaken. As you tan you  own leather, you probably have larger leathers, in which, these might not suffice.

AN L-shaped knife helps as well.

if using lighter or softer leather something to keep the leather in place as you cut. Anything heavy will do. I use pieces of marble and a steel anvil and anything else at hand, as long as it does not stain.

All that, at least, just for cutting.

Scissors, yes, cutting mat, yes, band-aids, yes, lots 

A metal ruler, or several, I have 10 inch, 12 in, 24 in, 36 in, for cutting against

Heavy duty knife with changeable blades - I think in US they are called 'box cutters'

SB99Ec.jpg

Ordinary blades, but I also like this hook blade for roughing out;

ken5372580k.jpg