Sign in to follow this  
Edens

What type of leather to use for this bag

Hello good people! I'm kinda new to this and was looking for helpful information which led me to this page, so I'm hoping someone with more experience here can help me!

I made a few smaller projects up until now but wanted to try and make something bigger this time: the bag in the pictures. Sadly I'm not quite sure what type and thickness of leather to use for this project? 

I read that cowhide / calfskin is mostly used in making bags, would that be a good option here? Since in my mind the bag needs to have some kind of stability to it and from my experience cowhide seems to be kinda soft?

Also which thickness can you recommend for a project like this? Since again in my mind it needs to have a firmer body to stay in shape and not get distorted while wearing it.

I hope somebody here can help me and I'm thanking everybody who answers in advance!

mJoEPCw.jpeg

MFUPu6V.jpeg

I am going to recommend you check out any of these 3 leathers. They are firm hand leather & got great body to them. Beautiful leather & great color choices. 

Conceria Walpier Buttero.

Conceria Walpier Dollaro.

Conceria Walpier Museum.

I would recommend 5oz or a bit heavier. 

Edited by DieselTech

The light colored leather next to the wall is a pebble finished/textured Conceria Walpier Dollaro in the color whiskey.

The reddish looking leather is Conceria Walpier Buttero in Chestnut. Its smooth.

The dark colored leather is also Conceria Walpier Buttero in Mahogany. Also smooth.

I'm waiting on some Conceria Walpier Museum to arrive. Other than it's the same firmness.

phpjmX2dlPM.jpg

1 hour ago, Edens said:

the bag in the pictures

Please post your photos here.  3rd party hosted photos frequently disappear due to changes in the host's policies, host out of business, users moving files, deleting files, closing their account or the account expiring.  When this happens, the post becomes worthless to all future users who are researching or looking for help to solve a problem.

If your files are too large to post here due to file size restrictions, you need to resize your files to fit.  Follow this link for some helps and suggestions.  https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/15122-how-to-post-pictures-on-lw/?do=findComment&comment=551171 There are lots of Apps, software, and online tools available on the web, or even built into your device to enable you to reduce your file sizes.  800 pixels in the longest dimension is quite adequate.  Smart phone screens and many monitors don't display high res files in high resolution.  People that live on the fringes of the internet appreciate smaller file sizes and high res photos may take from 10 minutes to hours to download.

Hey, sorry i didn't know about that! 

Here are the pictures in question for the bag!

r3ntvh43amgc1.jpeg

phpKepHNHPMsmal.jpg

3 hours ago, DieselTech said:

The light colored leather next to the wall is a pebble finished/textured Conceria Walpier Dollaro in the color whiskey.

The reddish looking leather is Conceria Walpier Buttero in Chestnut. Its smooth.

The dark colored leather is also Conceria Walpier Buttero in Mahogany. Also smooth.

I'm waiting on some Conceria Walpier Museum to arrive. Other than it's the same firmness.

Thank you for the detailed answer, i will definitely check them out!

1 hour ago, Edens said:

Hey, sorry i didn't know about that! 

Here are the pictures in question for the bag!

Thank you for re-posting the photos.

On 2/6/2024 at 9:28 PM, DieselTech said:

I am going to recommend you check out any of these 3 leathers. They are firm hand leather & got great body to them. Beautiful leather & great color choices. 

Conceria Walpier Buttero.

Conceria Walpier Dollaro.

Conceria Walpier Museum.

I would recommend 5oz or a bit heavier. 

Would you recommend this weight in general for this project or just for this leather?

19 minutes ago, Edens said:

Would you recommend this weight in general for this project or just for this leather?

I think 5oz in this leather would be fine for that bag. But if you really wanted it to have body I would go with 7oz. 

Another thing to think about, If you are going to line the inside of the bag you want to make. I would probably use the 5oz leather. 

6 hours ago, DieselTech said:

I think 5oz in this leather would be fine for that bag. But if you really wanted it to have body I would go with 7oz. 

Another thing to think about, If you are going to line the inside of the bag you want to make. I would probably use the 5oz leather. 

Thank your for all the help! I will probably go with 5oz. then since I want to put a liner inside.

What size are the leatherpieces in your pictures?
Sadly I didn't find a specific tutorial on how to make this kind of bag yet so I don't have the dimensions for every pieces I will need in the end but the pictures you sent look roughly big enough to fit everything

13 minutes ago, Edens said:

Thank your for all the help! I will probably go with 5oz. then since I want to put a liner inside.

What size are the leatherpieces in your pictures?
Sadly I didn't find a specific tutorial on how to make this kind of bag yet so I don't have the dimensions for every pieces I will need in the end but the pictures you sent look roughly big enough to fit everything

Them are 1foot wide by 2foot long panels from rocky mountain.