Mablung

Restoring Vintage CS Osborne Round Knife

2 hours ago, NatesLeatherGds said:

That's great. Pictures of it all done if you can!

I’ll share some tomorrow or Saturday. I’ve decided, after a few weeks of using it, that I need to adjust the bevel at a couple points, as I was less consistent with the angle than I thought. But overall it’s in great shape now and extremely sharp. I’ve nearly skived my finger once or twice due to mild carelessness regarding hand placement. 

On 2/29/2024 at 8:19 PM, NatesLeatherGds said:

That's great. Pictures of it all done if you can!

Couple of closeups of the edge. I couldn’t get a macro shot to focus, but this gets the idea across about the bevel and degree of polish. It looks more scratched in the pic than it really is. The bevel is fairly shallow, so at some point I’ll reprofile it again to make a more aggressive bevel to give it some extra strength. As long as I strop it every few cuts and don’t press down too much (a bad habit I developed when working with my dull Stohlman knife), it lasts several feet of cutting before it needs stropping. I like it a lot. 

IMG_2024-03-10-163354.jpeg

IMG_2024-03-10-163300.jpeg

7 minutes ago, NatesLeatherGds said:

Well that is nice! Good job.

Thank you! It’s a dream to use. Just needs a little tuning as I adjust how I use it. 

On 2/10/2024 at 12:45 AM, Mablung said:

It is. Pic attached. Stamped “Newark,”

so while I’m not sure of its age exactly, I’m fairly confident it’s an older one, based on my research on here. It’s on the larger end, but I don’t think I’ll necessarily mind that. 

IMG_6030.jpeg

Good Afternoon,

Well if it is stamped Newark you have yourself a unique knife in your hands. We were located in Newark until 1906 when our Factory burned down. Ever since then we have been located here in Harrison, NJ and still current. All tools stamped Newark are over 100 Years old!!!!

Thank you
Daniel V.
C.S. OSBORNE & CO

15 minutes ago, csosborne said:

Good Afternoon,

Well if it is stamped Newark you have yourself a unique knife in your hands. We were located in Newark until 1906 when our Factory burned down. Ever since then we have been located here in Harrison, NJ and still current. All tools stamped Newark are over 100 Years old!!!!

Thank you
Daniel V.
C.S. OSBORNE & CO

Snazzy. I had read the production moved to Harrison sometime in the early 20th century but hadn’t known some of that other history. It’s definitely a solid knife; the litany of owners before me took good care of it, and I intend to do the same. I use it for nearly all my cutting and all my skiving. Is there any way, that you know of, to determine more precisely how old it is? Obviously it’s at least 118 years old, given the stamp, but I always wonder how old it really is. 

Daniel, one observation here. Do you think it has been rehandled? That purple hue to the finish looks like the handle is more recent and not the original rosewood handles. Any thoughts? Nice clean knife overall. 

3 hours ago, csosborne said:

Awesome! And great to see you here on the forum (legendary tools, CS Osborne)

2 hours ago, bruce johnson said:

Daniel, one observation here. Do you think it has been rehandled? That purple hue to the finish looks like the handle is more recent and not the original rosewood handles. Any thoughts? Nice clean knife overall. 

I can post some closeups of the handle and ferrule, if it would help. 

I didn’t do a quite perfect job setting the bevels, but it still cuts like a dream, as Nigel Armitage would say, so I love using it. 

23 hours ago, csosborne said:

Interesting.  I have a knife with the Newark stamp that I inherited from my grandfather.  Photo below.  I knew it was old, but I didn't think it was that old.  I'm by no means an expert on knives, but I do strop it whenever I use and generally try to keep it sharp.  Is there anything specific that I should be doing to take care of it properly?

/dwight

PXL_20240323_204509879.thumb.jpg.98a929503de2b094c1904cb953f4f490.jpg

21 hours ago, DwightT said:

Interesting.  I have a knife with the Newark stamp that I inherited from my grandfather.  Photo below.  I knew it was old, but I didn't think it was that old.  I'm by no means an expert on knives, but I do strop it whenever I use and generally try to keep it sharp.  Is there anything specific that I should be doing to take care of it properly?

/dwight

PXL_20240323_204509879.thumb.jpg.98a929503de2b094c1904cb953f4f490.jpg

I almost got a little pattern knife like that but decided to go for a bit bigger, and went a lot bigger. That piece is in great shape.