I am starting to downsize, and I'm beginning with some of the extra hand stamps that I have accumulated. I'm not sure how to price them fairly.
They are 99% Tandy, but span years.
How do I tell which are the older, better tools from the newer, not as sturdy ones? And what pricing for the different ones?

Thanks

32 minutes ago, TomG said:

I am starting to downsize, and I'm beginning with some of the extra hand stamps that I have accumulated. I'm not sure how to price them fairly.
They are 99% Tandy, but span years.
How do I tell which are the older, better tools from the newer, not as sturdy ones? And what pricing for the different ones?

Thanks

Tom I'm no expert on this, but some of the vintage tandy stamps on pro leather carvers. Are priced from $30-$50 each depending on what stamp they are. 

There is some older tandy stamps I would like to find. They made nicer stamps back then. 

I acquired a large number of stamps from a pawn shop back in 2019. There were quite a few duplicates, and some were not Tandy, but a cheaper brand made in Taiwan (Ivan).

What I did was TEST THEM ALL. The older Tandy stamps were not always the best, and the newer ones were not always the worst. This could be due to the amount of use some of the older stamps had over the years.

As for the age of the stamps, Tandy stamps with no letter are the oldest, followed by Craftool Co. with a letter and number, then Craftool Co. U.S.A. The most recent stamps are Craftool U.S.A. As a rule, the first two types of stamps listed are considered to be much better than the newer ones.

I charged $4.00 per stamp for the Craftool Co. stamps and $3.00 for the newer ones and Ivan stamps.

Here's my experience. I don't seek out craft tool stamps to resell, but still over the course of the year in buying sets and estates we end up with about 800-1000 of them. I used to list some on my website but it was not worth the time and effort to break them out even in the small sets for what they returned. Even in a small set someone would just want some one would just want one stamp and ask that we break the sets. It wasn't worth it for a five dollar tool, and then kick about the shipping costs. There are a few rare and collectible craft tool stamps, but not many. Jim Linnell usually buys those that we have. Otherwise it can be a tedious experience to catalog, take pictures, deal with buyers and shipping.

We take them to the shows and sell them on the bargain table for five dollars each/your choice no matter how they are marked. I used to charge seven dollars for the prefix stamps and five dollars for the rest. Literally my wife or I spent half the time explaining to people the difference and very few cared. The people that do know and care are happy to sort through the cans and find them. We give a lot of stamps to kids. Makers Leather Supply gives out kids leather project kits for free, and those kids come over and pick out four or five stamps from us for free, and maybe a mallet if we have them. Between the Prescott and Sheridan shows we usually move about half the stamps we get. Usually at one or the other of the shows there is someone looking for tools for kids groups, rehab, or veterans groups and we donate whatever is left over. 

23 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

I acquired a large number of stamps from a pawn shop back in 2019. There were quite a few duplicates, and some were not Tandy, but a cheaper brand made in Taiwan (Ivan).

What I did was TEST THEM ALL. The older Tandy stamps were not always the best, and the newer ones were not always the worst. This could be due to the amount of use some of the older stamps had over the years.

As for the age of the stamps, Tandy stamps with no letter are the oldest, followed by Craftool Co. with a letter and number, then Craftool Co. U.S.A. The most recent stamps are Craftool U.S.A. As a rule, the first two types of stamps listed are considered to be much better than the newer ones.

I charged $4.00 per stamp for the Craftool Co. stamps and $3.00 for the newer ones and Ivan stamps.

Thanks. that's kind of the ballpark I was thinking, but was just not sure.
NOW, for the task of cataloging them all and do the listings. I'm going to put them here on the Leatherwork section first. eBay will be the absolute LAST place I'll list them. By the time you pay the fees, you get a buck a tool, it seems.

21 hours ago, bruce johnson said:

Here's my experience. I don't seek out craft tool stamps to resell, but still over the course of the year in buying sets and estates we end up with about 800-1000 of them. I used to list some on my website but it was not worth the time and effort to break them out even in the small sets for what they returned. Even in a small set someone would just want some one would just want one stamp and ask that we break the sets. It wasn't worth it for a five dollar tool, and then kick about the shipping costs. There are a few rare and collectible craft tool stamps, but not many. Jim Linnell usually buys those that we have. Otherwise it can be a tedious experience to catalog, take pictures, deal with buyers and shipping.

Thanks. I am not looking forward to the cataloging and selling.
I do have a few people who I will be donating some to. My mentor was generous with me years ago when I started and I am going to honor that by helping a newbie.

On 2/8/2024 at 5:38 PM, DieselTech said:

Tom I'm no expert on this, but some of the vintage tandy stamps on pro leather carvers. Are priced from $30-$50 each depending on what stamp they are. 

There is some older tandy stamps I would like to find. They made nicer stamps back then. 

Wow. Not sure which stamps would carry that price tag, but I'd love to find a dozen or so of them in my collection, LOL.

TomG, the non-Tandy stamps used the same numbers Tandy uses, so I didn't have to post pictures of the stamp, I just told prospective buyers to check out the Tandy online catalogue, and I listed the stamps by letter - you know, B for bevellers, C for camos, etc.

Oh heck, here's the post! As you can see it was a quick sale! :D

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/85348-stamps-for-sale/