Sign in to follow this  
Mocivnik

New to stamping, first project help need

So, I think I came to the step in my leathercrafting journey, where I can "afford" to start carving. My first (and most common I believe) idea is carving oak leaves on knife sheaths.

There isn't much to add, there are a lot of things about carving oak leaves on the internet, but I cannot find THE ONE tutorial, that would take me to final product.

Now, I have two things: Tandy's "BELT STRIP TIP SHEET by GEORGE HURST" where there's an oak leaf, which is a good pattern, but doesn't show where to use which stamp and list of stamps, that I own (list will be lower in this post). And since I'm completely new to using any stamps, beside pattern stamps, its difficult for me to even start.

Is there a pattern for this kind of oak leaf and acorn, that has:

0. List of tools needed (this one has it)

1. Order for use of tools

2. Where to use which tool (preferably with ones, that I have)

oak_leaf.thumb.png.96f0ab117cec87c4f4de7fd2b979bd0b.png

List of stamps that I have:

A104

BW1

BW2

BW3

BW4

B803

B936

B701

B60

C431

C431

D444S

D447S

D616

E684

F916

G508

G548

M887T

P217

S706

U851

V407

V407

X510S

X595

Z-X511

Edited by Mocivnik

A lot of the Craftaid sheets will show you where to use what tool. There are also YouTube tutorials that show how to do it, including tool order. Others have done oak leaves and shown their tools, on here. In fact, I think one of the tutorials pinned in the carving forum is for an oak leaf.

ETA: There are two tutorials in the Figure Carving forum. That would be the better one to look at than the Sheridan/Floral Carving material (this subforum) because it’s a different style. 

Edited by Mablung

1 minute ago, Mablung said:

A lot of the Craftaid sheets will show you where to use what tool. There are also YouTube tutorials that show how to do it, including tool order. Others have done oak leaves and shown their tools, on here. In fact, I think one of the tutorials pinned in the carving forum is for an oak leaf. 

Thank you for your reply.

I tried to google and search youtube for videos/tutorials, but either i gave up too fast (and I did some research) or I just missed mostly of them.

Would you be so kind to paste the link to it? It seems, I cannot find it though..

I gave up on all that I just bevel and that ad depth with a shader and a leaf liner then decorative cuts

3 minutes ago, Simplejack1985 said:

I gave up on all that I just bevel and that ad depth with a shader and a leaf liner then decorative cuts

Well, i would too, but unfortunally, I dont have that kind of artistic touch to just add depth freely by feeling.

Sure ya do. Carve then bevel everything, then turn that picture next to your project. The 2 B tools bevel left and right side so you may have to turn your project. Then your 2 P tools are pear shades I believe then start with the tips of leaves, walk them back to where they all kind of meet. Use a bragrounder to fade some texture around the leaf.

20231112_100432.jpg

IMG_20231112_143318_062.jpg

47 minutes ago, Mocivnik said:

Thank you for your reply.

I tried to google and search youtube for videos/tutorials, but either i gave up too fast (and I did some research) or I just missed mostly of them.

Would you be so kind to paste the link to it? It seems, I cannot find it though..

Here ya go.  This is one of the tutorials and the other can be accessed from the topic listing under the subforum.