ToddW

question on diy leather balm weights

I took a swag at my own leather balm from the recipe here..

5g | 0.88oz beeswax

25g | 0.88oz cocoa butter

50g | 1.76oz sweet almond oil

When you pour it, is there an easy way to get the same amount each time.. that stuff gets the round aluminum container to hot to handle and started to melt my cheap scale.  Also is the wieght one would put in the container with the container weight or just the contents.  I am trying to weigh out 1oz.. though I could use a rim market in the round container but came up short so think I need to fill them all the way to the top.   

2 hours ago, ToddW said:

I took a swag at my own leather balm from the recipe here..

5g | 0.88oz beeswax

25g | 0.88oz cocoa butter

50g | 1.76oz sweet almond oil

When you pour it, is there an easy way to get the same amount each time.. that stuff gets the round aluminum container to hot to handle and started to melt my cheap scale.  Also is the wieght one would put in the container with the container weight or just the contents.  I am trying to weigh out 1oz.. though I could use a rim market in the round container but came up short so think I need to fill them all the way to the top.   

Measure out each of the ingredients separately using a measuring cup to the specified amounts. Then add them into the container on the stove, in the order as described in the recipe thread.  

12 hours ago, ScottWolf said:

Measure out each of the ingredients separately using a measuring cup to the specified amounts. Then add them into the container on the stove, in the order as described in the recipe thread.  

Sorry.. I did that.. What I was asking about is how to measure the amount poured in each container accurately..  For example, I have a round aluminum container I want to sell at 1 oz.  I assume the 1 oz is the amount in the aluminum container.. not 1 oz total weight of the container and the contents..  I tried to eye what I thought was 1 oz but came up short and want all my containers to be consistent so looking for a method to accurately measure each container..   

I found an instructable article  that had you putting the material in a pyrex measuring cup and putting that in a pot of boiling water.....  I mixed and stirred without letting it boil in an aluminum cooking pan.. that does seem easier to pour..

7 hours ago, ToddW said:

Sorry.. I did that.. What I was asking about is how to measure the amount poured in each container accurately..  For example, I have a round aluminum container I want to sell at 1 oz.  I assume the 1 oz is the amount in the aluminum container.. not 1 oz total weight of the container and the contents..  I tried to eye what I thought was 1 oz but came up short and want all my containers to be consistent so looking for a method to accurately measure each container..   

If you are worried about getting 1oz exactly, I would suggest you get a 1oz measuring cup and pour your liquid into it and then into the tin. If you have 1oz tins, simply pour directly into it and eye ball it and don't over think it. If your OCD won't allow that, get the 1oz measuring cup.

1 hour ago, ScottWolf said:

If you are worried about getting 1oz exactly, I would suggest you get a 1oz measuring cup and pour your liquid into it and then into the tin. If you have 1oz tins, simply pour directly into it and eye ball it and don't over think it. If your OCD won't allow that, get the 1oz measuring cup.

I was making a leather kit with a horse hair brush, dauber, polishing cloth in a leather toiletry like kit and my labels had 1 oz on them.. I am under in all my pours.  since people were going to pay for them, I didn't want them complaining I was under filling the tins..  Anyway.. I will measure it..

How about a ladle?

Instead of trying to measure directly into the hot container, pre-measure each batch of ingredients (5g beeswax, 25g cocoa butter, 50g oil) and store them in separate containers. This way, you can quickly add them to the melting pot without getting burned or needing to handle the hot container. Once melted, you can use a ladle or a heat-resistant syringe to transfer the balm to your containers. This provides more control and avoids spilling hot liquid.