Shazbaz

Servicing a Singer 111-155

Hello

I wondered if anyone has a video of them carrying out a service on their Singer 111-155 please? 
I finally have this machine after wanting one for many years and although I don’t sew on it as much as I would like to I still enjoy looking at it lol

I was thinking that maybe I should give it a good clean and oil etc, I have found a copy of the manual with pictures and instructions but I would really love to see it being done so that I know that I’m not going to put the oil in the wrong place or do anything stupid.

Ive searched the internet and there’s lots of servicing and restoration videos out there but I can’t seem to find any  of one of these machines being serviced.

if anyone has a link to a video of this I would be very grateful ☺️ 

ps my singer machines plate says it’s a 111g155 which I can’t find anywhere as all the info I come across is for the 111W, does anyone know what the “G” stands for on my machine? 

6 hours ago, Shazbaz said:

I wondered if anyone has a video of them carrying out a service on their Singer 111-155 please? 

Moved your post to leather sewing machines.

The W indicates it was made in the US at the Bridgeport plant, G indicates it was made in a Singer plant in Germany (K is Kilbowie in Scotland and U is Japan).

As for cleaning and oiling it's pretty straightforward, remove any cover/access plates and remove any dirt, lint etc then lightly oil any parts that are rubbing/sliding/pivoting. Tilt the head back and likewise check underneath. Remove the bobbin and clean out any fluff/lint/bits of thread and add a drop of oil in the bottom of the basket. DO NOT unscrew/loosen any moving parts unless there is a problem. They usually had oiling holes that were painted red to indicate where to oil regularly during use but manually oiling all moving parts is probably a better way to do it.

11 hours ago, dikman said:

The W indicates it was made in the US at the Bridgeport plant, G indicates it was made in a Singer plant in Germany (K is Kilbowie in Scotland and U is Japan).

As for cleaning and oiling it's pretty straightforward, remove any cover/access plates and remove any dirt, lint etc then lightly oil any parts that are rubbing/sliding/pivoting. Tilt the head back and likewise check underneath. Remove the bobbin and clean out any fluff/lint/bits of thread and add a drop of oil in the bottom of the basket. DO NOT unscrew/loosen any moving parts unless there is a problem. They usually had oiling holes that were painted red to indicate where to oil regularly during use but manually oiling all moving parts is probably a better way to do it.

Thank you for your help, I will give it a go ☺️

20 hours ago, Northmount said:

Moved your post to leather sewing machines.

Thank you ☺️ 

@shazbaz There's a service info on the 111w in this file,you have to scroll some to find it.

Navy_Repair_manual_on_31-15,111w,199_zig-zag.pdf