AngryDick

Cowboy CB4500 or Cobra Class 4?

I currently have a CB4500 and it works great but I am going to add another machine and I have to wonder if the Cobra Class 4 is any better? ( I was also asking about the 441 clones direct from china in another thread). If everyone had a choice between the Cowboy or the Cobra, What would you choose? I am a Holster Maker by the way.

Thanks

CB4500.jpg

The Cowboy 4500, Cobra Class 4, Cobra Class 3, Artisan Toro 3200 and some others are all 441 clones and essentially the same with some differences in arm length.  It really comes down to customer support.  

What are you wanting your new machine to do that your 4500 can't do?

My take is it comes down to price and what is the best value, i.e. do you get any extra goodies thrown in? Either of those will do the same job.

dude - it's the SAME MACHINE.  If you're already dealing with Bob K / Toledo Ind Sewing, I highly recommend you stay with him.

Well, I bought the Cowboy from a private party so I have no experience with either company.

I can see having two similar machines set up to do different things in your business, I heard how busy you guys are! Here is my take. I just bought my nephew a Cobra 4 and picked it up at the Prescott leather show. It comes with a flat bed table attachment, flat throat plate, holster plate, and stirrup plate - a few different presser feet, and a drop down edge guide. Probably was an option for a wax pot but I didn't get one for his. (I never used one on my Ferdco unless I was sewing doubled latigo reins wide open speed). When I got my Ferdco Art Van Hecke told me on the predecessor of this forum to get every available attachment I could when I bought it. The package price will beat buying the attachments later ala carte. Smart advice but then again I was making a lot of different things. I have used every foot and plate and more they added later. 

Looks like the Cowboy you have is set up with a wax pot and standard throatplate/presser foot. If you are just doing holsters and no plans for anything else you could duplicate what you've got without a "package". Both places have a reputation for service. Cobra is closer to you so shipping cost might be a factor.

5 hours ago, AngryDick said:

Well, I bought the Cowboy from a private party so I have no experience with either company.

In that case from what I've read on here over the years either dealer should be fine. As JLS said to all intents and purposes they are the same machine.