CaneMtn

The Pull Test Project

I was recently asked to make a very small dog leash (for a 5 lbs dog), which I happily obliged. But it got me thinking of the limitations of the materials and hardware that we use in leathercraft. 

I love data driven decisions, so naturally I bought a pull test device to do some of my own testing. It is NOT a $16k Tensile Testing machine, so just take these results as what they are...a guy in his garage having fun pulling things apart with a hydraulic ram. 

I have been documenting the testing and results so far on our Instagram page (@canemtn), but wanted to share the results with this community as well. 

Tested so far:
- 3/8" wide Biothane versus 3/8" wide Leather

- Double Cap Rivet post lengths in 4.5mm / 11/12oz Leather - Tested in Shear

- 3/8" Solid Brass Swivel Snap 

To Be Tested:

- Double Cap Rivets - in Tension

- Solid Copper Rivets - in Shear and Tension

- Solid Brass Rivets - in Shear and Tension

- Stitching - Saddle Stitch versus Machine Stitch in Shear and in Tension (probably going to use Biothane to rule out inconsistencies in material).

- Every width of Leather I can think of.

- Every width of Biothane I can get my hands on.

If you have any ideas for things you would like to see pulled apart, please share!!

I plan to update this post as I have new results. 

ThePullTestProject.jpg

Edited by CaneMtn

The stretch of leather is of interest for saddlery and harness making - how much the length changes with use.  I'd be interested in comparing different tannages for stretch under a controlled load.  Bridle, harness, and regular veg tanned of similar weight.  Also there is some debate about how much the grain contributes to the strength of a strap versus an equal thickness of a flesh side split.  How much leather would you need for testing?

Great idea!

I think that it would be interesting to see if the leather retains it strength depending on what treatment it has received.

E.g. Neatsfoot oil soaking vs mineral oil soaking.

Dry veg tan vs. veg tan that has been given a bit of oil/grease

Brgds Jonas

Interested to see the results. FYI, I tried to put the Instagram handle you listed into my browser, but got an error message from Instagram. 

A snatch pull puts more weight on than a dead-weight 

Awesome tests! 

8 hours ago, CaneMtn said:

If you have any ideas for things you would like to see pulled apart, please share!!

We need some tests with stitched leashes. 8-10 ounces, 3/4 inch.  Say 10 or 12 total stitches, saddle stitched. 1mm thread, at least. Please thank you. :)

What goes first? The stitches or the leather? 

Edited by NatesLeatherGds