rdl123

Latest Wade Saddle Build

Latest build 95% complete - Square skirt wade on a Swanke tree - This has been a slow build!  All Hermann Oak leather - Tin seat strainer.

large.AS_02.jpg.a49a8bb71f0c82ac4ca7d901216abb42.jpglarge.AS_01.jpg.5b2c62384d22a04da160cde7cb83e425.jpg

5 minutes ago, rdl123 said:

Latest build 95% complete - Square skirt wade on a Swanke tree - This has been a slow build!  All Hermann Oak leather - Tin seat strainer.

large.AS_02.jpg.a49a8bb71f0c82ac4ca7d901216abb42.jpglarge.AS_01.jpg.5b2c62384d22a04da160cde7cb83e425.jpg

Beautiful saddle! Nice work. It looks great. 

If you dont mind, is there any physical patterns for saddles out there? Basically a paper pattern for each piece of leather on saddle construction? 

Thanks. 

Ron,

Nice looking saddle. What stamp did you use? I couldn't find a vintage Hamley rose when I wanted one, so bought the JW flower stamp. 

Randy

Hello Randy - Min is the JW stamp too!

I think your saddle looks good.  It appears that you worked on the rough out to get it smooth, and I find that hard to do correctly.  What is the slope on the horn?  I am trying to figure out what to order on my next tree.  I don't want a charro looking horn, but, I don't want a flat woodpost either.  Also, where did you pick up the rear flank cinch dee?

Ron

On 3/25/2024 at 4:29 AM, rktaylor said:

Ron,

Nice looking saddle. What stamp did you use? I couldn't find a vintage Hamley rose when I wanted one, so bought the JW flower stamp. 

Randy

Randy,     

David Mabe has been working on some old vintage stamp replicas and he has the Prairie Rose dialed in. I have seen his progression and the ones he had for sale at Prescott are a dead- on match to the original Hamley prairie rose stamp that McMillen made. I bought one from him just so my  saddle size McMillen can stay here and not continue to get frequent flier miles out on loan for folks rebuilding or recreating the Hamley saddles. David should have a good stock of them at Sheridan, as well as some old FK Russell and other McMillen stamp designs he'd been working on. 

Diesel tech:  On patterns, I just built my own set - What I did was found a maker who I liked the look of their saddles and tried to re-create that in my own way.  It's a learning curve - I change my patterns as time progresses to reflect things learned!  I have also never built a saddle i was completely happy with - This square skirt was a challenge and I'd change up my skirt lines next time.  It looks a bit 'downhill' on some horses.

Goldshot Ron:  On the rough out - I bought this hide (Hermann Oak) from Montana Leather - It comes 'buffed' and is like that from store - I do not like 'rough' rough outs.  This is my first half breed.  I built this saddle for a friend and he let me try it for a few weeks - I really liked how it felt.  On the saddle horn - This is a Swanke tree and I am 75% sure I asked for a 3/4" slope from front to back of horn.  It is nice to rope out of - Used it for starting a colt and was happy with how it felt.  On the rear dees - They are Jeremiah Watt.

Bruce Johnson - Thanks for that advice!  I am using a vintage round knife I bought from you and a hand splitter - Sure appreciate the good tools!

Here is a pic of saddle with a couple rides on it.  Stirrups are set for me which is too long for this saddle design - My friend has shorter legs and it looks better with stirrups up about 2".

Aarons-Saddle.jpg

Thanks Ron,

The last Wade I made was only a 1/2  inch rise, and I am never sure how it will feel until I cover the darn thing. I believe the set of rear d's that I have are JW.  I am always on the look out for new hardware, and nice conchos that will not set me back a fortune.