This is my first time using Resolene so I tried it on scrap pieces first.The first piece received straight undiluted resolene and the second I diluted 50/50 with water. The undiluted was definitely too shiny for my taste and the second was less so, but I would like it to be a little less shiny. Can you dilute it even more and get good results? Thanks 

3 hours ago, Mungo said:

This is my first time using Resolene so I tried it on scrap pieces first.The first piece received straight undiluted resolene and the second I diluted 50/50 with water. The undiluted was definitely too shiny for my taste and the second was less so, but I would like it to be a little less shiny. Can you dilute it even more and get good results? Thanks 

If using a dauber, don't put it in the undiluted bottle. It will colour very easily. Try putting some 50/50 in a different bottle as a stock solution and don't put the dauber in there either. Pour a little in a cupcake size container and dilute that if necessary.

8 hours ago, Mungo said:

Moved your post to Tooling, Stamping & Carving Leather > Dyes, Antiques, Stains, Glues, Waxes, Finishes and Conditioners.

Get a Skippy peanut butter jar . . . or the like . . . nowdays they're plastic . . . 

Mine has a mark about 1 1/2 inches above the bottom . . . and another about 3 inches up.

Fill up to the bottom line with water . . . add resolene to the top line . . . I've got my mix.

Then I grab my brush . . . dip it in the solution . . . and start painting.  I paint it very wet to start with . . . to the point that moving my brush back and forth will produce a lather looking pile of bubbles . . . once I get that . . . I quit adding and start stroking . . . up and down . . . left and right . . . diagonal both ways . . . and brush until there are not bubbles or streaks.

It leaves a very nice "semi shiny" finish . . . 

I have not liked the results I got from adding more water . . . if I wanted a duller finish . . . I'd pick another product . . . or just oil it . . . rub it till all the dye quit rubbing off . . . and call it a day.

May God bless,

Dwight

PS:  the brush in the picture is the 2 inch size . . . I actually use the 1 inch size on everything . . . belts included

bristle brush.jpg

Edited by Dwight

Update

I followed the given advise from yall and it turned out great. I used a 50/50 mix of Resolene and it is not too shiny after all. I think using a too-small test piece of leather gave the illusion of too much shine. Anyway, thanks again.