Dave9111

Thread Lubrication

I have issues sometimes with heavier thread, like V138 shredding at the needle on my Pfaff 1245.  I have sprayed my thread spool with silicone spray and that helps but its not consistent.  Perhaps I need to spray it more consistently?

I went looking for thread lubricators and not many are available.  None looked worth the $.

Many said V69 and below.

Im pretty sure many more were available years ago?  

Should I make one?

What do you guys do?

Dave

14 hours ago, Dave9111 said:

I have issues sometimes with heavier thread, like V138 shredding at the needle on my Pfaff 1245

Is your needle size too small.  Check this chart.

No.  Im using a #22 needle with V138.

If i lube the thread, no issues at all.  I take the spool off the spool rack and spray it with silicone lube.  (A bit messy).  But of course it not consistently lubed throughout the spool.  I think a lubricator would solve the issues.   I like things to "just work".   

Thanks for the reply!

11 hours ago, Dave9111 said:

Im using a #22 needle with V138.

Try a #23, #22 doesn't always work.

You can buy a plastic lube pot that has a magnetic base, and a hole with a set screw to mount it to a top post on your machine. Load it with liquid silicon, or sewing machine oil and adjust the flow for the best results.

Since you're using the minimum needle size for #138 thread, consider finding needles with a larger than standard eye, and/or titanium coating. Look into Schmetz and Groz-Beckert needles. You didn't say what you are sewing, so I can only suggest that if it isn't very dense, try Schmetz "Serv-7" needles, if they are available to fit your machine. Otherwise, try Groz-Beckert "Gebeder" needles.

Update #1: What you should look for are known as "topstitch" needles, but with some shape of a leather cutting point. Topstitch needles have a larger eye that allows thicker thread to pass through it with less drag than a standard geometry needle.

Update #2: Schmetz makes a needle type they call "GO" which has a much larger eye profile to clear larger topstitch threads. It is a step up from the Serv 7 system.

Thanks guys.  The little plastic pots I've seen say v69 thread max.   But maybe thats wrong.   I really thought a 22 needle should be big enough but ill get some 23s and consider your needle brand recommendations.  Im sewing mostly through two layers of WeatherMax 80 poly canvas and sometimes also two layers of polyester binding.  With the dense binding it can be a challenge.

Let us,know how this all works out for you. You have an audience. 

Another thing to consider is length of use, I was also shredding thread and increased the size from 22 to 23, it cleared up as soon as I replaced the 22 with a 23. Also rethread the machine or compare it to one on utube, small mistakes might be found that you didn't notice before

I did obtain some #23 needles.  I now have some Groz-Beckert chrome needles and then I found some Groz Beckert Gebedur Titanium needles.  Ill try these out this week and let you know what happens.  Its threaded properly.

On 3/27/2024 at 7:49 AM, Northmount said:

Try a #23, #22 doesn't always work.

I chased my butt on my 255 randomly cutting, fraying 138 thread, switched to a 23 and it never happened again. I sewed a boat cover with over 400 feet of stitching and the thread never gave me problems.