Sign in to follow this  
ThomasBH

Binding issues with cylinder arm machine

Hello,

I've fairly recently picked up a Typical GC2605 Cylinder Arm machine specifically for binding the inside/raw edges of backpacks, pouches and some leather items. I'm specially looking for it to bind work pieces that are probably 1/8-1/4" thick using 1" grosgrain mil spec binding tape (5038 style).

The machine came with a binder that I think was meant for using very thick binding like leather or webbing, but even using webbing does not produce good results.

Here is a photo of some of the binders I've accumulated over the years that I've tried on this machine. Some are not meant for this purpose so I did some jury-rigging with tape to get them to mount, but alas, nothing will produce even remotely acceptable results. Most can't even bind on a straight flat piece.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xFoaS6pCGYHb4sb56

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!

Thanks

2 hours ago, ThomasBH said:

Here is a photo

Please post your photos here.  3rd party hosted photos frequently disappear due to changes in the host's policies, host out of business, users moving files, deleting files, closing their account or the account expiring.  When this happens, the post becomes worthless to all future users who are researching or looking for help to solve a problem.

If your files are too large to post here due to file size restrictions, you need to resize your files to fit.  Follow this link for some helps and suggestions.  https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/15122-how-to-post-pictures-on-lw/?do=findComment&comment=551171 There are lots of Apps, software, and online tools available on the web, or even built into your device to enable you to reduce your file sizes.  800 pixels in the longest dimension is quite adequate.  Smart phone screens and many monitors don't display high res files in high resolution.  People that live on the fringes of the internet appreciate smaller file sizes and high res photos may take from 10 minutes to hours to download.

7 hours ago, ThomasBH said:

Hello,

I've fairly recently picked up a Typical GC2605 Cylinder Arm machine specifically for binding the inside/raw edges of backpacks, pouches and some leather items. I'm specially looking for it to bind work pieces that are probably 1/8-1/4" thick using 1" grosgrain mil spec binding tape (5038 style).

The machine came with a binder that I think was meant for using very thick binding like leather or webbing, but even using webbing does not produce good results.

Here is a photo of some of the binders I've accumulated over the years that I've tried on this machine. Some are not meant for this purpose so I did some jury-rigging with tape to get them to mount, but alas, nothing will produce even remotely acceptable results. Most can't even bind on a straight flat piece.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xFoaS6pCGYHb4sb56

Thanks

Setting-up Binders is never easy, and it hard to get into specifics on doing a setup to Bind with internet forum pic. and not actual seeing, and with not having hands-on the binder and machine . Getting the correct Binder,  and with Binder in proper set-up . That goes with equal detail with seating-up on the positioning of Binder to the presser feet, also the shaping of the feet to accommodate the binder position to Needle for feeding materials. Plus a few other things. After that it's all about building your personal technique for Binding.

Sounds like your saying, your biggest struggle is getting the binding material of choice to track out the binders throat nice even with feeding material ? , and the Pic. of the, 1"/25mm Binder to me ?, looks like that binder is for thick edge, it looks to have a pretty tall open throat height .

your 1st choice on binding is, 1" wide, type lll grosgrain ( tape binding )  ?
( for me/just my opinion ) .. On thicker edge materials, ( exposed, finish look ) and using 1" wide Binding for a wrap. My 1st choice is a type ll, #4082 herringbone . Binders throat height around the 12mm size .
And for ( exposed finish look ) for the thinner edge binding, 1/8' and thinner edge. I always go with a 3/4" wide type lll #5038 grosgrain . also the binders throat height around the 5mm size .

12 hours ago, ThomasBH said:

I think you main problem is the type of binder you are using. The ones you show are all wide mouthed binders made for sewing edging onto thick material. As @nylonRigging has said getting the correct binder is a must and setup can be a pain sometimes. You need the item to fit through the binders mouth along with the binding tape and the tape to be fairly snugly wrap around the item to prevent slop / wander and provide better tracking. Finding a 90 degree binder with a smaller throat opening maybe difficult as this depends on what you are binding.

I do have the 90 degree binders but I never use them. I prefer the inline style for a couple of reasons. I can use the same binders on any of my machines flatbed or cylinder bed, cost, more readily accessible option like raw edge or double fold and I can easily bend the mouth open or close as needed. I also find the guiding the items edge through the binder easier as the inside edge of the binders body gives me a guide edge to follow. However the 90 degree binders do allow you to get tighter bends then the inline style. 

Maybe try modifying something like this as they only cost about $15.

kgg

binder.JPG