Bert03241

Pattern for Byrna SD

I bought a Byrna SD because I really don't want to take a life if it can be avoided , But I can't find a patteren for a holster to fit it. I've tried twice now to male my own but I'm lousy at pattern making and wasted a lot of leather trying. So if anyone has a pattern  and is willing to share I'd sure appreciate it.:yes:

Edited by Northmount
fixed title typo

May I suggest reaching out to your friends who may have a similar sized weapon? or even a gun shop, then perhaps you would be able to find a pattern for the pistol that closely resembles your Byrna. 

@Bert03241 if you have $40.00 more to spend , buy one of their holsters and use it for a pattern .  https://byrna.com/products/byrna-nylon-holster?variant=31820201033795

Something I have found immensely helpful is making a mockup out of EVA craft foam. The “medium” thickness is right about the same as 6 oz leather, so it works very nicely for mockups to check fit, before cutting into the leather. I’ve used it to then modify my paper patterns and then used the final mockup as my tracing and cutting pattern, when I move to cutting the leather. 

Thanks guys I really don't want to spend 40 bucks for a temp-let LOL I'm looking into the foam tho thanks for the ideas

Edited by Bert03241

1 hour ago, Bert03241 said:

Thanks guys I really don't want to spend 40 bucks for a temp-let LOL I'm looking into the foam tho thanks for the ideas

Hope it works for you. It’s a few bucks well-spent and easy to work with. 

yea foam should  be here Monday

What thickness of foam? 2mm?

I got 6mm

@Bert03241 please, I would like to know how it works out for you, and any hints for using it.

On 4/7/2024 at 5:14 AM, Wepster said:

What thickness of foam? 2mm?

I think there is some that’s 3 or 3.5 mm as well. That’s what I got, as that’s quite close to 6/7 oz. leather. 

well foam  cam today and of course I wreck the pattern. :ranting2::oops::censored2: Like I said I'm a lousy pattern maker, LOL:crazy:

But the foam works well easy to draw on and cut. doesn't break or crack when bending it. So if you know how to make a pattern this will work nicely.:thumbsup:

I'll give it another go tomorrow.:helpsmilie:  Rolls big enough to make several Pats , just wish I could make one. LOL I watch all these videos on how to do it , but these guys talk so fast and have the time you can't see the marks their making.

I did find one video were the guy just takes a piece of leather and wet molds the gun to it. I might try that . Doesn't look like I can screw it up to bad.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=eva+craft+foam+roll

Edited by Bert03241

Are you able to identify to any extent where your pattern breaks down? It’s obvious something isn’t translating properly, but likely it’s one or two things that you’re not applying or thinking through properly that are then having flow-down effects on the end product. Any idea where things start to turn left of straight, so to speak?

hard to say just cant get the knack of it. always comes out small

Edited by Bert03241

17 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

hard to say just cant get the knack of it. always comes out small

Hm. I get that. Screwed up the first foam pattern I made, so I made it about 15% bigger (just what that one happened to require) and went from there. You can probably fix this one by just adding some extra to the edge, cutting a new foam pattern, and tweaking the other proportions until you get it right.

If you haven’t yet, also look at JLSLeather’s guide to laying out patterns. Immensely helpful. 

One thing I do when I make a foam mock up of a pattern, I bond two sheets of foam together.  The extra thickness, and stiffness of the two layers, makes a more realistic radius when I fold over the holster to sew the two sides together.   - Another thing I've found, if I happen to cut out a holster, and it winds up being too short to sew when I fold it over.  I can add a welt .... a thick welt up to like 1/2 inch, and make up the difference.  Then the two sides don't have to stretch so much to come together. 

6 hours ago, Littlef said:

One thing I do when I make a foam mock up of a pattern, I bond two sheets of foam together.  The extra thickness, and stiffness of the two layers, makes a more realistic radius when I fold over the holster to sew the two sides together.   - Another thing I've found, if I happen to cut out a holster, and it winds up being too short to sew when I fold it over.  I can add a welt .... a thick welt up to like 1/2 inch, and make up the difference.  Then the two sides don't have to stretch so much to come together. 

Hmm adding a welt. I'm gonna cut apart the first one I did and see if adding a welt will make it big enough. Thanks for that Idea:thumbsup:

My foam is 6 mm so I don't think I'm gonna dbl it LOL

Edited by Bert03241

On 4/12/2024 at 10:24 PM, Bert03241 said:

Hmm adding a welt. I'm gonna cut apart the first one I did and see if adding a welt will make it big enough. Thanks for that Idea:thumbsup:

My foam is 6 mm so I don't think I'm gonna dbl it LOL

Good Luck! - One thing on doubling the foam.  What I was finding is the foam can fold and make almost a 90 degree turn, whereas leather makes a larger curved radius when folding it, which takes more material to round the bend.  When I glued 2 foam sheets together its much stiffer, and makes a larger radius when folding it over.  It was more a factor of how the dual layers bend and fold that helped me, versus just a matter of really how thick they are.  Although when I make holsters, I'm using 8-10 oz weight + 2-3oz liner, so its pretty thick.  

Edited by Littlef

I decided not to cut it apart.  Looking at the holster and gun together, I don't think a welt will help. I have a holster for it now. Maybe use the other one for a different gun . If I have one that might fit it LOL