DavidK

Copper Rivets - Prevent Scratching?

Hi all,

I have a quiver im working (will eventually finish lol, soon) and I am using copper rivets on the straps. I plan eventually to wear it on top of a leather armor piece I have as well, but i do expect the copper to potentially scratch the leather where the rivets make contact with the vest.

Any solutions to really make sure the copper doesnt do so? Maybe using a product on top of the leather just to provide a smoother surface? Im not great at doming, so that could be partially me there too. But even with a smooth dome I would like to negate all chance of the copper scratching the finish. Ive considered silicone adhesive strips cut into small circles, or a dab of clear hot glue. Maybe just some acrylic resolene on the copper rivet? lol. Thanks!

-David

AP1GczM0PP-wxbpsSMJpHK4cBnHwDZ6kpjB_X4hRuUvN_iFrrlTzNbR7Y_Duo25I7XC5jRZNkQU1mzotjpKoGLPGdYyQ5NwPgE-7-e21AOH9i1SDRdeY3dn9sxT-WeSkgwZXUo39WUx784SWMcPf1cWwM7nsgMvdVghEaW4CLDPi7pJR1uEIKC5zMVaf2gO6yF8VdVaOaZEoCnWtPv1FbkrqrNzjjYJ8Up75pw4wor2_ZcmPfHXz-k3H_aUTkfFilT-ejJz4nu8O8sUOQkBTuaizHMiX0q0ItIu1IadXmKEEQkFaIWhZqspbrd6Mv8v8p8x5dQ3J-M_xswRBR5nq97lOwZeFOPNR0DDETzlYhrpSaIke55T0ahjCW7s3gtysop5giLHeI09DrBBgRkXEZnOVo6R8NNIk7jVpNSyKU9J5RukZ2_RD0aGtR6VeJSeXhE9t0Sc1eULB4CXgj0CdJmjJ4Mi3ne-eqgzpuaCxIutwpIzSanONbU_u0m6ba52-C0ToEpV8Qym01_jD5w9Cpwvwpy6B4q9tuszOYhARqun1k8NI33r4L8ou02oKncwykB-FPE-lqZJnf_nbaFzKTj3RSt4X1Rin099GRqUvG1bv--MHWnKa-cUZ-aBQGAkgAZcpEgeHp9Rx9AY4y6OynuDBdGuzADqrz7x_q6Vt2FWqdcjnYu4S6Gr909oduzg5AutMRflsOAvdyXWQ_ULQ2SJJYx73ubXFlrztAg2X1LM67mr9wfbR6pZn2dLCUSpECFW5t4PWf4Oxlj8LuEw8aHHqHFCLidreswumEJqSB8O7r08gFzvlYz4pL6tE8ZUN_MZDkTr4aXuFNWJrjwNKIMZhdc0Z9AkzSGbQECYxDAu5YlRSwYe4xjcTTxAQq2uaHC48W069oIJErWG7e5Kkuj_p82FG3dFHX0EC-dCKtcfRJOJegeT-hcRCTzb3Ibb_yIzxpDAm34WVQm47TbFo2jFN0rBRhx7v4uHkWFEBNC9SZPlGQ2z2ouxDUc7PzZXgq3qrlVrmTP4=w718-h953-s-no-gm?authuser=0

No finish will make it so rivets wont scratch. Setting them will minimize but not eliminate. Some people like the handmade look, some prefer the smooth finish. First off, full disclosure - I sell rivet domers and three piece rivet sets. Some people are going to say vested interest. 

My personal experience from long before Bruce Johnson Leather Tools was even a thought. I was hand peening rivets or using the Osborne setter dished out part. A good 15 years or more ago I took "Saddle Week" at the Sheridan Leather Show. The second morning I watched Don Butler set rivets with the Bob Douglas 3 piece set. Smooth, easy, fast, nearly or exactly perfect setting, smooth peen, and a domed head that didn't catch. Thirty people stood there like we'd seen the second coming. At the lunch break  I was at Sheridan Leather Outfitters buying the Bob Douglas sets along with nearly everyone in the class. Never looked back and my wife is still using them.

Herb French may still be making some of the original Bob Douglas ones. Wayne Jueschke makes a nice set and the domer makes a little design in the head. I've got Jueschke sets and what will be the last sets made by Richard Brooks in stock. Buckle Guy has sets. Likely some import versions are on Etsy or Amazon. Point is, they will do a cleaner faster job than most hand peening  and the domed heads will not only dress it up, but make it slide over other part with less marking. 

2 hours ago, bruce johnson said:

No finish will make it so rivets wont scratch. Setting them will minimize but not eliminate. Some people like the handmade look, some prefer the smooth finish. First off, full disclosure - I sell rivet domers and three piece rivet sets. Some people are going to say vested interest. 

My personal experience from long before Bruce Johnson Leather Tools was even a thought. I was hand peening rivets or using the Osborne setter dished out part. A good 15 years or more ago I took "Saddle Week" at the Sheridan Leather Show. The second morning I watched Don Butler set rivets with the Bob Douglas 3 piece set. Smooth, easy, fast, nearly or exactly perfect setting, smooth peen, and a domed head that didn't catch. Thirty people stood there like we'd seen the second coming. At the lunch break  I was at Sheridan Leather Outfitters buying the Bob Douglas sets along with nearly everyone in the class. Never looked back and my wife is still using them.

Herb French may still be making some of the original Bob Douglas ones. Wayne Jueschke makes a nice set and the domer makes a little design in the head. I've got Jueschke sets and what will be the last sets made by Richard Brooks in stock. Buckle Guy has sets. Likely some import versions are on Etsy or Amazon. Point is, they will do a cleaner faster job than most hand peening  and the domed heads will not only dress it up, but make it slide over other part with less marking. 

I am not trying to step on the OP's thread, but @bruce johnson but do you have a pic of the Wayne Jueschke domer with the design it makes in the head? 

Also if a person was to buy his 1st set of rivet & burr setter's what size do you reccomend? #9 or #12? 

Thanks. I appreciate it. 

18 hours ago, DieselTech said:

I am not trying to step on the OP's thread, but @bruce johnson but do you have a pic of the Wayne Jueschke domer with the design it makes in the head? 

Also if a person was to buy his 1st set of rivet & burr setter's what size do you reccomend? #9 or #12? 

Thanks. I appreciate it. 

You are sure welcome - These setters are sized to the rivet sizes. The most common rivet sizes are #9 rivets for saddles, harness, and heavy stress projects -  #12 for straps and bag reinforcements - #14 rivets for small projects. 

Here is a link to my website for examples done by both makers and information. https://brucejohnsonleather.com/leather-tools-sale/rivet-setters/

1 hour ago, bruce johnson said:

You are sure welcome - These setters are sized to the rivet sizes. The most common rivet sizes are #9 rivets for saddles, harness, and heavy stress projects -  #12 for straps and bag reinforcements - #14 rivets for small projects. 

Here is a link to my website for examples done by both makers and information. https://brucejohnsonleather.com/leather-tools-sale/rivet-setters/

Thanks bruce, I appreciate you clarifying for me, where each size of rivet & burrs are commonly used.  Thanks. 

Thanks Bruce for the advice! I definitely need a better peening tool, mine was pretty poor in its performance for sure. Bumping thread for additional solutions outside of peening better, and to clarify the concern - this is the rivet scratching the leather of another piece when rubbed.