SUP

Does Milled veg tan leather hold tooling as well as leather that is not milled?

I saw  a really old leather bag and it is beautifully tooled. The texture of that leather is like milled veg-tan - the wrinkly appearance rather than the smooth surface of regular veg-tan.

I have been told that milled veg-tan does not hold tooling as well as non-milled. If so, what would make the tooling on that bag remain so long? Or is there a way to get that wrinkly appearance on regular veg-tan?  

Had the bag been well-used? That might account for the wrinkly appearance and texture with good tooling: it was tooled when smooth and taut, then broken down over lots of use. 

I've no idea really. I just saw it at an estate sale after someone had bought it. Just a perfunctory look where I held and examined it for a couple of moments, but it looked nice. The leather was soft. I have no idea if it was initially soft or got soft over the years. However, it was one of those kiss-locks and don't those require softer material?

I looked online on e-bay and they have plenty of similar ones, some smooth, some not. They all look soft as well. 

This is milled veg-tan (from Tandy). I think the carving turned out pretty well!

horse resized.jpg

That is lovely  @Sheilajeanne .

Thank you! That is what I wanted to know. The texture on your leather is just like on those gorgeous old bags too.

Edited by SUP

4 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

This is milled veg-tan (from Tandy). I think the carving turned out pretty well!

horse resized.jpg

That’s beautiful, @Sheilajeanne!  Love the design and the colors. 

Thank you! It was the Tandy messenger bag kit. 

Here's the whole thing put together;

Celtic horse bags.jpg

Oh That's beautiful @Sheilajeanne.The colors and pattern on both bags.  Love that green and red.

On 4/5/2024 at 12:38 AM, SUP said:

I've no idea really. I just saw it at an estate sale after someone had bought it. Just a perfunctory look where I held and examined it for a couple of moments, but it looked nice. The leather was soft. I have no idea if it was initially soft or got soft over the years. However, it was one of those kiss-locks and don't those require softer material?

I looked online on e-bay and they have plenty of similar ones, some smooth, some not. They all look soft as well. 

No idea on the tooling Sup but was it you looking for the old fashioned purse closers? Is that what you're calling a kiss lock? Cos I found some.

Yes. @toxo  It took me a while to find that name too. Where did you find them? 

3 minutes ago, SUP said:

Yes. @toxo  It took me a while to find that name too. Where did you find them? 

Bag Fastenings/Fixtures - London Trimmings

@toxo thank you. :)