Sign in to follow this  
Woodbender

206rb-1 bobbin rotation direction

206rb-1 question. I have the bobbin in the bobbin case with the bobbin facing me. The thread is properly routed through the slot and tension spring. I pull the thread. Should the bobbin spin clockwise or counterclockwise?

11 hours ago, Woodbender said:

206rb-1 question. I have the bobbin in the bobbin case with the bobbin facing me. The thread is properly routed through the slot and tension spring. I pull the thread. Should the bobbin spin clockwise or counterclockwise?

I usually load the bobbin counterclockwise in these top loading shuttles. For one thing, this reverse angle forces the bobbin thread to lay firmly inside the tension spring and exit only at the designated place. Second, it counteracts the bobbin run on problem that happens when you stop abruptly. If the bobbin is feeding in the same direction as the shuttle is spinning, it can keep rotating a while, unloading loose thread inside the shuttle and possible getting it caught on the top locking clamp.

Wizcrafts:  Would clockwise be what is recommended?  The reason I ask is my Pfaff 545 manual shows mine should run clockwise but I've heard some will run it counterclockwise to get a little more tension on the bobbin thread.  I've noticed that sometimes I hear what sounds like the bobbin spinning.  I've never had it knot up but just wonder if that might help tighten things up a bit to eliminate the sound - not that it really matters.

Thank you Wiscrafts

5 hours ago, fibersport said:

Wizcrafts:  Would clockwise be what is recommended?  The reason I ask is my Pfaff 545 manual shows mine should run clockwise but I've heard some will run it counterclockwise to get a little more tension on the bobbin thread.  I've noticed that sometimes I hear what sounds like the bobbin spinning.  I've never had it knot up but just wonder if that might help tighten things up a bit to eliminate the sound - not that it really matters.

If you load the bobbin to flow with the shuttle, it can run on. This is why some shuttles have enough vertical space for a star shaped anti-backlash spring to be dropped in. This fingers grab the holes in the bobbin and keep it from freespinning. But, some shuttles may be too limited to allow that spring in. You can buy a pack of them and see how it works out in your machine. If there's enough vertical space, you can keep loading the bobbins inline with the rotation. The spring does add some bobbin tension though.

Thanks, it's more of just a question as it isn't causing any problems.