MrHydez

Looking for info on a 78-3 Singer sewing machine

Hi,

I'm looking at this 78-3 Singer sewing machine. It'll be my first sewing machine.

Does anyone have anymore info on it? All I know that it's a walking foot. Made for lighter work. Doesn't have reverse(?) I've googled a bit on it and some use it for leatherwork.

How much you think it would/should cost?

All the seller knows is that it runs. He's never used it. He bought it over a year ago from a guy that used it for upholstery.

Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 17-01-26 Marketplace - Commercial sewing machine Facebook.png

Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 17-00-30 Marketplace - Commercial sewing machine Facebook.png

Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 17-00-19 Marketplace - Commercial sewing machine Facebook.png

Edited by MrHydez

Walking Foot - One Needle. Max. speed 1600 spm. For lightweight work in imitation leather; upholstery. Automobile tops. Combined upper and needle feed. No under feed.

https://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/model-list/classes-1-99.html

The 78-1 also says "For lightweight work in fabrics only."

Between that and "No Underfeed" ... make sure this is the right machine for you. Needle feed and a walking foot should move the layers ok.

Unless you're doing only garment weight leather, I just don't see this being useful for leatherwork. Plus that 250 volt thing bears investigation. Is it saying it HAS to be DC? Worst case, I guess you can throw a servo under it for $150 or $200US.

Edited by AlZilla

Do a forum search the Singer 78 and equivalent Consew 28 have been discussed here already:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=singer+78+site%3Aleatherworker.net

Nice machine (I owned one. Bought just because I was curious but no longer have it) Not many parts are available for this machine so make sure it is complete and it sews. Compare pictures of other machines and make sure its all there. Needle is 135x17 / 135x16. As Alzilla said, you for sure want a different motor and / or a speed reducer.

I have a few files:

Singer 78 Beschreibung.pdf Singer_78_CONSEW_28_MANUAL.pdf Singer 78.pdf

The Singer manual Constabulary dropped above says it'll sew a max of 3/16".  I'd probably buy it if the price was real right, just because it's interesting. But it wouldn't be in the leatherworking rotation.