Sign in to follow this  
Sprocket

Sheath flap retention - Progress picture with question

Hi All,

Here are a couple project pics of a sheath that I'm making - it's 3 sided based on the object it will be holding.  I used lace to join the panels together and secure the belt loop to the back of the sheath.  It's 1/8" lace with 1/8" flat holes punched in the leather, panels were beveled on the inside to help get a tight seam.  My first pass was double stitched but the client didn't like that much.  The aesthetic of the piece is to not use metal, just leather, so no snaps, post studs, etc.  Think "something a Viking might wear."

Of course I forgot to include the hold down strap for the top flap...  I'm wondering what the best way to secure a 1" wide strap from side to side - I was thinking of just lacing an "X".  Undoing the lace would be problematic given the way I did it.  Tucking the flap in won't work either due to the fit of the item, no room...

I also had the idea to lace on a leather "button" and use a thong on the flap to wrap around the button for security.  I'm still not settled on a method yet so I'm hoping the collective here can offer some solutions - Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks

ok - pics to follow when I figure that out...

back picture

back.jpg

front.jpg

1 hour ago, Sprocket said:

Here are a couple project pics of a sheath that I'm making

Moved your post to Gun Holsters, Rifle Slings and Knife Sheathes.

update:  I went with a sort of button - 2 pcs of round, 1 slightly smaller to allow the thong to get behind the larger.

Next step is to dye it black.

Any comments would be appreciated.

2024.04.30 20.25.29.703.JPG

2024.04.30 20.25.58.756.JPG

you need an antler button but that rocks my friend, very cool

Thank you for the kind words.  It took probably far too long to make but I'm learning and was being fussy with spacing, etc.

Antler button was considered - I'm going to replace it with a carved/stamped leaf, green in color.  The leaf is an element that will be used throughout the costume for buttons and other decorations.  I'll post pics when I get there - for now the disc will have to do...