brunolund

juki lu563 hook opener link seems loose

not sure if i used the correct term, but when trying to adjust my hook opener, the link that it screws into moves around a bit. is this normal? my thread is catching on the tab under the needle plate, so i went to check the hook opener and it wasn’t moving the bobbin case.  i will try to attach a video. thx

can’t get video to load, too big. seems to work now after setting it, but still seems to have lots of play in the link.  

Pics will help us see it functioning.

glenn

6 hours ago, brunolund said:

can’t get video to load, too big. seems to work now after setting it, but still seems to have lots of play in the link.  

Videos hardly ever fit here.  Put it on YouTube and link to it here.

4 hours ago, Northmount said:

i’m trying to figure out how to do that on my phone. not tech smart!

4 hours ago, Northmount said:

i’m trying to figure out how to do that on my phone. not tech smart!

let’s try this

sweet!! it worked!

just for fun, i’ll include a video of the slow speed sewing i have with this machine. servo motor and 5:1 homemade speed reducer!

That slow speed sewing looks very nice!

As for your bobbin case opener, there’s a few possibilities as to why it’s wobbly (in order of likelyhood):

1. The hook may not be seated all the way down, allowing the bobbin case opener disc to move vertically a little. 

2. The parts may be worn and have too much play

3. Some parts may be incorrect

The wobbliness may actually be fine as long as the finger reliably pulls back the bobbin case to the correct position (tab in center of the cutout under throat plate)

Seating the hook properly is a relative easy thing to do. The small hook driving gear holds the hook in place rotationally and vertically. If you loosen both set screws on the gear just a little bit, you can move the hook vertically. Make sure the hook is seated all the way down to minimize vertical movement of the opener mechanism.

Sometimes the hook gets forced up by thread getting caught under the hook. Even if you remove the thread, the hook may still be riding a little too high afterwards, allowing play in the opener mechanism.

You may have to re-time the hook or adjust the needle bar position if the vertical adjustment of the hook was significant.

IMG_0498.jpeg

Edited by Uwe

7 hours ago, Uwe said:

That slow speed sewing looks very nice!

As for your bobbin case opener, there’s a few possibilities as to why it’s wobbly (in order of likelyhood):

1. The hook may not be seated all the way down, allowing the bobbin case opener disc to move vertically a little. 

2. The parts may be worn and have too much play

3. Some parts may be incorrect

The wobbliness may actually be fine as long as the finger reliably pulls back the bobbin case to the correct position (tab in center of the cutout under throat plate)

Seating the hook properly is a relative easy thing to do. The small hook driving gear holds the hook in place rotationally and vertically. If you loosen both set screws on the gear just a little bit, you can move the hook vertically. Make sure the hook is seated all the way down to minimize vertical movement of the opener mechanism.

Sometimes the hook gets forced up by thread getting caught under the hook. Even if you remove the thread, the hook may still be riding a little too high afterwards, allowing play in the opener mechanism.

You may have to re-time the hook or adjust the needle bar position if the vertical adjustment of the hook was significant.

IMG_0498.jpeg

i actually took the hook out to check the linkage, and couldn’t see any real wear anywhere. there is a pin that goes through a link that rides on the eccentric on the hook, and the play is coming from where that pin goes through the link. it looked great when i took it out, but maybe i’ll order a new one anyway. i did retime the hook, and it is sewing great now. your videos you have posted have been invaluable in getting this machine set up and working as it should. thank you very much!! before i got this machine, i knew nothing about sewing machines, but am very mechanically inclined. pretty much got this one for free, so the servo motor and speed reducer were the only cost. the slow speed really helps as i’m learning to o sew by re-upholstering pontoon seats. think i’m doing pretty good thanks to this site. 

86341779-774F-4BD4-991E-8D4FF268C05B.jpeg