SUP

Help! Three old knives all lost their handles!

@DieselTech, i doubt I will be able to fix that knife myself. The others only have their handles come loose. The Rose knife, I will look for a bladesmith.

Anyway, I am not touching any of them until I have the proper tools, except for cleaning the tangs and getting out as much rust as I can.

Could you tell me where I can get the brass ferrules? I see many sellers but don't know which will be good.

The thing is, everywhere I look, there are so many tools needed (that t I don't have), that I am wondering whether it makes more sense to just find a good bladesmith. 

I will continue to watch videos showing how to replace handles and then decide.

56 minutes ago, SUP said:

@DieselTech, i doubt I will be able to fix that knife myself. The others only have their handles come loose. The Rose knife, I will look for a bladesmith.

Anyway, I am not touching any of them until I have the proper tools, except for cleaning the tangs and getting out as much rust as I can.

Could you tell me where I can get the brass ferrules? I see many sellers but don't know which will be good.

The thing is, everywhere I look, there are so many tools needed (that t I don't have), that I am wondering whether it makes more sense to just find a good bladesmith. 

I will continue to watch videos showing how to replace handles and then decide.

Is there any chance you can get me dimensions of the ferrules needed. What the inside measurements are & the depth of the ferrules. Im willing to do some leg work for you & will try to find a exact match. Also a couple pics would help. 

Thanks. 

A sawsall blade with the top of the blade ground down to fit in the hole will work as a broach.

17 minutes ago, bladegrinder said:

A sawsall blade with the top of the blade ground down to fit in the hole will work as a broach.

That is how I got/made my 1st knife handle broach. But them Black Dragon Forge knife handle broaches are nice. 

@SUP go to Ragweed Forge Store, then go to Knife making, then pick Fittings. 

Then you will see all sizes of ferrules, bolsters, guards for knife making. 

You then will need to find a Ferrule that best fits your dimensions. To make the best fit of ferrule I would pick a ferrule a smidgen undersized then you can fit it to your blade & handle. 

I'll  look at the sites you have sent me @DieselTech and @Wepster and get an idea of what to do, how to measure, and then get back. That will be in a couple of days as I have time to do all this only during the week, when I can concentrate.

I'll get back on the size of the ferrules once I see exactly how to measure it.  Same with the broach making. The Broach is sold out in both places you mentioned. I will look if it is available elsewhere.

Ragweed Forge great store, I have a few Mora knives from them.