blawrence

Belt tip screw no head

I bought a western ranger style belt with a metal tip I want to replace. Unfortunately the screw holding it on has no slot. It’s not a pin type, just a screw with no head. How do I remove it? Thanks in advance!

Screw with no head? Sounds like a rivet, a photo would help a lot. If it's a rivet it could be drilled out our use a dremel with a ball grinder.

I used to get some three piece sets with a slotted headless screw to secure the tip. Jewelers screwdriver if that that is the case. If there’s no slot then drill it as dikman said. They usually are too small for an easy out. 

If you have a small motor-tool like a Dremel, with reverse; try using a small drill bit in reverse. The drill bit won't drill  but it may grip  enough  to grip the screw and unscrew it

Please don't be offended, I am sure you did this, but .... good magnifing glass, perhaps its a allen, just a very tiny indent?

I had one, don't recall why, but I used a very small grub screw, it was harder than the belt tip, so by carefully screwing it in, it cut its own threads out of the slightly smaller threads of the tip.

Thanks all! I’m pretty sure it’s not a rivet because I have the same vintage Justin belt in another color. But here is a photo in case I’m wrong. 

IMG_2863.jpeg

Seeing that brings back memory. I drilled the head off and slid the tip off. It was a soft nail that peened the tip on the inside of the top. Years ago .... I vaguely remember saying a lot of bad words and spending way too much time for what I quoted. 

Left Handed drill bit, perhaps