Dave9111

Moving Industrial machines around the shop and outside

I have my share of industrial machines and I sometimes want to move them around both in the shop and outside for a larger canvas job.  Sometimes into a box trailer that has a ramp door.
I have flat moving dollies, but small wheels don't make rolling easy over uneven pavement.  And they don't work at all in gravel or on grass.  Yep, off road sewing!   I have some large covers to modify and alter and putting the machine in the lawn under a tree can work in nice weather.

What do you guys do?   

This has come to a head since I bought a two thread chainstitch machine and the head is really heavy - well over 100lbs and I want to be able to move it without planning for back surgery.

My machines all have the common K stands.   On the lighter machines (like a Pfaff 1245), I have mounted casters on the bottom of the K legs.  And that works in the shop.   But that's about all.  

Thanks,  Dave

find a used Hoyer lift on CL or FB marketplace.    I recently saw that recommendation.   

Mount them on a little trailer with a bench seat? 

Hoyer lift.   Gosh I think my sister in law just sold one from my mother in laws house.    Never thought about that.

I have looked at some commercial solutions and it seems like the lift has to pickup the table top to go "off road", or off a hard floor.   Looking at my machines, that is really the only common pickup point.

So I will make something up and share it when I'm done.  I'm thinking a 1/2" or 3/4" steel pipe frame, some large air tire casters I already have should make up the bulk of it.  

A lever mechanism (maybe?) to raise the machine, etc.  Or maybe just tip the frame?

Thanks for the ideas.

I do have a little trailer I'm not using...  hmmmm...

Edited by Dave9111

Dave9111,
I use a Hoyer type lift for lifting heads that are too heavy for me to handle out of tables, but it doesn't take much of a gap in a concrete floor to stop the Hoyer if it's moving slowly. If modified with much larger and wider wheels, I believe the type of lift in the picture would be better suited for what you want to do. The hook hinges at the top, and hooks under the top cross member of a K-leg as long as the leg is close to the edge of the table. Place the hook in position, crank up and you're on your way. It will work on longer tables, but with so much leverage at the other end, it's best to crank up a little and then manually lift the other end. Let me know if you want any measurements or other info.

ism mover.2 - Copy.jpg

I've decided that I'm going to lift the machine via the table top.  

There is a couple of machines on the web that can do this but they are quite elaborate.  I'm going to try and keep it simple. 

I like the jack simplicity but I don't think lifting from the K leg even at the top is a good idea for me.  Reason being that I have one really heavy machine head, and I'm pretty sure the k leg wouldn't stand the strain.