Sheilajeanne

Pattern for Jesus Rescuing a Lamb

This is a very famous religious painting by Alfred Soord, and I vaguely seem to recall seeing it somewhere as a leather working pattern. I've checked the patterns I have saved to my computer, but it's not there.

Can anyone direct me to a source?

Jesus alfred_soord_the_lost_sheep_525.jpg

Thanks Sheilajeanne . . . I'd never seen that image before . . . it's gorgeous.

I just might try to see what I can do with my laser machine . . . I know I can cut the outlines and the major lines in the images . . . but I don't  how it will do on the subtleties . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

My first thought was to print it at high resolution, then trace the major lines on tracing film, just because that’s the extent of my personal technical ability and available resources. Then use a modeling spoon to add the subtleties, using the picture as a guide. Of course, that works only if one has the necessary artistic ability. 

Dwight, if you are successful with the laser, I will gladly pay you for the picture! 

I want it to go on a journal cover so it hast to be a specific size though.

Mablung, if all else fails, I will try doing that. There is a nice Tandy pattern out there that shows Jesus walking with some sheep, and gives the tools used. I can use that to help guide me for the tooling. Unfortunately, it's a PDF, so I can't upload it here, It's in the leathercraft library, though.

Edit: if you search the net, you can find clearer examples of it like this one: https://cedarhouse.co/the-lost-sheep-painting-by-alfred-usher-soord-canvas-print-12-x-18/

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Shiela

2 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Dwight, if you are successful with the laser, I will gladly pay you for the picture! 

What is the size of the cover . . . and what weight of leather did you intend to use??

Also . . . on the cover itself . . . what size image were you wanting??

If I'm successful . . . it'll be in about 2 weeks as I have to do some traveling

Just let me know here . . . I'll see it while I'm out and about.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Dwight, will send you a PM with the info once I have a look. Actually, it's an old Tandy kit, but there's no point in shipping you the leather, with the cost of shipping between Canada and U.S. being so ridiculous these days. But I will get all the deets from the kit a little later today. My craft room is right next to my tenant's bedroom and I don't want to wake her as she works nights.

Thank you so much for offering!

I'm hoping to design the cover so that the journal can be refilled, so if that looks like it will work, I will use the leather from the kit to try tooling the pattern myself.Yeah, I do have a bit of artistic talent, so we'll see how I get on. There is a ton of info out there from Stohlman, et. al. on how to do pictures and portraits. 

Jane

Edited by Sheilajeanne

12 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Mablung, if all else fails, I will try doing that. There is a nice Tandy pattern out there that shows Jesus walking with some sheep, and gives the tools used. I can use that to help guide me for the tooling. Unfortunately, it's a PDF, so I can't upload it here, It's in the leathercraft library, though.

Huh, neat. I need to make a cover for my sermon notebook that actually fits, so I may go look for and filch that pattern. The Leathercraft Library has tons of useful patterns. 

11 minutes ago, Mablung said:

Huh, neat. I need to make a cover for my sermon notebook that actually fits, so I may go look for and filch that pattern. The Leathercraft Library has tons of useful patterns. 

Yeah, but finding them ain't fun! :rolleyes2:   It's called The Good Shepherd pattern pack #2641.

Or if you PM me your e-mail, I can send it to you. Stohlman provides lengthy notes on how to tool something like this, along with the pattern. 

Actually, you can upload PDF's to this site, but this one exceeds the site maximum.

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Ok, Dwight, the Tandy journal isn't suitable for what I'm wanting to do. The pages have to be laced between the covers. Going to go to the nearest office supply store and see what I can find there!  Will get back to you when I've made my mind up.

Edited by Sheilajeanne