greygeist3191

Learned something new on the Boss! Presser Foot Height Adjustment

Had the Boss over a year now. Always wanted to use the smaller Center Presser Foot so I could sew closer to the edge but it was too short to reach the leather. Even after a couple calls to Tippman I got no solution

Stumbled across the answer from a defunct blogspot site archived on the Wayback Machine.  Origonally written by a fellow named 'Trekster' who had the same problem and provided the fix

Link Here  6th article down the page. His Text Follows

Height of Presser Foot Above Needle Plate

It has been my experience that not all of the different Presser Feet (SM 16-1), available for use in the Boss, extend down to the Needle Plate in the same way.  For instance, the Center Presser Foot did not actually touch the Needle Plate when fully extended in the down position. There was a gap under it of almost an eighth of an inch.

My regular Presser Foot sat on the top of the Needle Plate just fine.

After speaking with a technician at Tippmann Industrial, I learned that there is a specific part that should be looked at, and may need adjustment. The end of the cable that connects the chrome handle to the Presser Foot Shaft, should be screwed into the Pin until it is just flush with the end of the pin.  Mine was actually threaded on beyond flush.  After I unscrewed the pin until it was just flush with the bottom of the pin, and reassembled the machine, my Presser Foot was in the correct position, and touching the top of the needle plate.

In order to make this adjustment it will be necessary to remove the side protective cover (held on with four screws). Then remove the operating handle from the Needle Bar Shaft. Next, remove the HS-100-3 Bolt that holds the Needle Shaft Gear to the Shaft. Next remove the Presser Foot Cam AR-26, Presser Foot Driver and Spring. While holding the Needle Bar Assembly, tap the end of the Needle Bar Shaft until the Needle Bar Knuckle is far enough out to allow the Presser Foot Shaft to be removed from the slot it travels in.  Once the Shaft is clear, it may be rotated to achieve the proper adjustment of the Pin which is captive in the Presser Foot Shaft slot.
If Presser Foot tension adjustments are inconsistent between different Presser Feet, you may want to look at how far the Pin is screwed onto the end of the cable that operates the Presser Foot Shaft.

Edited by greygeist3191

Thanks . . . I didn't need it for my Boss . . . but others may . . . appreciate your posting

May God bless,

Dwight

Saved, in case of need