ElNino

toolmakers

Read this thread and just thinking?

I started with Craftools in the early 70's and quite a few were given to me by my twin sis. She was into figure carving, and doiing a pretty good job at it. I'd quit it, at the second year in 4-H cuz they disqualified me for going above the requirements.

Fast forward it to 1983, I'd gotten married and had a kid on the way.... I'd had a couple of custom saddles made for me, and traded or wore out. I needed another rig, bad!

I was trapping to help supplement cowboy wages, and used part of the winters income to buy a saddletree and 3 sides of leather from Mid-continent leather in OK, that Id ordered chap hides from.( didn't know of any others then? Took me about 8 months to get that saddle built! I had Bruce Grant's book "Cowboy Horse Gear" and just a tad bit of knowledge from repairing things. ended up with a servicable rig that survived even me, and my poor abilities. Don't know where it is today, or even if it's alive? I traded it off to a poor kid that just didn't want to live without it, even if it was wore out.

Things I have discovered...

A. you can do without, and still build a serviceable... thing? I bought a roundknife when I bought the leather... just couldn't do with it what I wanted. Cut most of it out with my pocketknife! Used the one edger I had, or a file to round the edges.

B. Most everything, you can build yourself! It might take a little ingenuity, but a person can be surprised at what they can accomplish with some simple tools. It just takes a little thought. Sometimes, I had to think outside of that little square I was in.

maybe I did something right, cuz as soon as I was riding that ugly ole thing... a neighbor wanted to know if I'd make him one. So, I said "Sure I'll do my best!" Guess it was good enough, cuz then more neighbors either felt sorry for me, or liked the work.

Never even thought of turning it into a business, cuz I just wasn't a people person. OK, I'm getting started up again, and looking forward. My thoughts are turned in that direction anyways.

Sorry for writing a book. Got way off of the subject.

I've now got a whole slew of tools of my own making... maybe it came through being a long fricking ways from anybody and not much cash to spend unless I could justify it? You can create a lot of leather stamps with just a FEW basic tools, like a set of files, a hacksaw, and some emery paper. They don't have to be stainless or carbon steel, unless they're cutting tools either. I've got several mild steel (low grade bolts or rod) and havn't had problems staining. I'm really at a loss as to say why, after reading some here.

Now, I've added. I didn't know custom tool makers existed, until I got ahold of an old McMillens catologue. I reproduced some of them , and bought some. Then I found an ad for Harness Shop News....Ellis Barnes soon followed, as did Robert Baird, then Watts. Havn't used any BK tools yet, but since I'm starting again I can't wait!

Thing is... if you create it, it's yours! Don't be afraid to experiment!

Those "In-Fisherman" boys in MN used to have a little segment where they would answer some questions people sent in. When asked, "What's the best fishin' lure for walleye?", he answered "The one you'll use."

Oh, yeah ... mine are largely Craftool.

One thing you can do is to see if there are any granite counter top installers in the area. find the cutouts for the basins to use as pound boards . Most are 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 thick which works great. Maybe I missed it but Barry king tools are stainless where most of the others are high carbon. For what that is worth.

Here's a list of some more toolmakers and their contact info. We have a few guys here that make their own tools, too.

Johanna

Johanna, is it possible to revive this thread? the link does not seem to be working for me.

Thanks,

Raquel