sturner767

29k58 sewing backwards

I have recently purchased a 29k58. Upon trying to sew with it I found that no matter where I adjust the stitch length bar it doesn't change and is very tight stitching when you operate it the way it's supposed to by turning the wheel to you. However if you turn the wheel clockwise, ( I know your not supposed to) it will make a perfect stitch and you can adjust the length by the adjustment mechanism,  however the material is going backwards. Any ideas?

If your hand-wheel is attached to the front of the machine, then the correct way to operate machine manually is indeed to turn the hand wheel clock-wise.

It is on the end. Not the front. 

The cam at the end which is has the race on one side and the pulley slot on the top of the wheel is out 180 degrees.  Need to be depinned and moved 180 degrees.

glenn

Glen, would you have a picture of what your talking about?

8 hours ago, sturner767 said:

Glen, would you have a picture of what your talking about?

Glenn was letting you know that the cam on the back is fitted onto the top shaft with a solid tapered pin. You'll need to rotate the hand wheel to bring that pin to the top, then pound it out with a drift punch. Note, the pin is tapered and only comes out in one direction, which I don't know about.

After loosening the cam, hold the wheel and rotate the cam until the hole on the other side is facing up. Then pound in the tapered pin and test the machine.