Hello all,

I’m having an issue with a 69-373 I picked up. When I put in a 134-35 needle I’m getting  contact on the hook and the needle is deflecting left. I’ve tried two OEM hooks and a brand new one from Bob at Toledo Sewing. Seems like the shoulder on each hook is too long and I can’t move the hook to the right on the shaft any farther so the needles are deflecting. The OEMs are better than the new one. 

Any ideas? 

The Durkopp Adler 69-373 uses a System 134 needle, not System 134-35. That may not be the cause of your issue, but it’s generally best to use the correct needle system. The 134-35 needle is 4.2mm longer than the 134. 

The size of the needle matters, too. The 69-373 is designed to use size NM 110-130. A thicker needle gets closer to the hook just due to the diameter of the needle.

Try a System 134, size NM130 needle and report back.   

A few close-up photos of your hook area would be helpful, or even a small video snippet (via YouTube) of the hook touching the needle.

The Durkopp Adler 69 service manual ( Durkopp Adler 69-373 Service Instructions.pdf  ) is a good reference for making adjustments. 

IMG_0592.jpegIMG_0591.jpeg

IMG_0590.jpeg

Edited by Uwe

Thanks Uwe. Appreciate it. Found quite a bit of contrary info on the needle system online so when I saw that some folks used the 134-35 I just snagged a few from my 669. 

So the main issue was that the hook wasnt seating far enough on the shaft to allow for needle clearance. This is different than any other machine I run where I usually have a mm or two to play with the needle and hook daylight. Here you can see the contact the hook is making with the needle. There is literally no more space to move the hook any further and it's actually making more contact than the picture shows. Kind of a deceptive angle. 

2095416590_IMG_3760(1).jpg.1144eb06e18a00d2117da5f449b07fb0.jpg

I have another 69 here and the hook shaft is recessed back further in the casting than the one I'm trying to troubleshoot. This allowed hooks to seat and adjust properly. Unfortunately that machine has an incorrect needle bar and no tension setup (need one if anyone has one!).

I removed the shaft from the machine and saw the washer that sits behind the spring clip.

IMG_3762.jpg.2df20224dafa7baa5d12c6b7c81de2e2.jpg

Im sure that this is important to reduce wear on the spring clip but I removed it anyway for testing. This now allowed the hook to move 1mm deeper to the right of the shaft and allowed all of the adjustment I needed to retime it. Now the machine is running and stitches well. I don't know if that washer is a critical part but if the Germans put it there it had a reason Im sure. 

IMG_3763.jpg.9737cbc4b7ed213494a1d803ec8f97d4.jpg

F9DF00D7-B30D-47B7-BD2D-CE9F8F073C99.JPG

I’m glad you got it figured out! I wonder if that washer is in the parts diagram, or if it was added later for some reason.

There may be difference between the older Adler and the newer Durkopp Adler versions of the 69-373. The casting is not quite the same.

I don’t have any documentation for the old, pre-Durkopp merger,  Adler 69-373. The one I had was the later Durkopp Adler 69-373. 

_MG_1212 copy.jpg_MG_1230.jpg

It does seem to be in the parts diagram. I'm not sure what it's purpose is though. My initial thought would be to reduce wear on the lock spring to the left but only the shaft moves so I don't see how that would wear over time really. 

image.png.ef1da655a42b6c3ad0b6ca61ac8f5ee7.png

I am trying to contact    UWE   I am trying to get the flatbed for a 3200 cowboy but the link to the store doesn't work.. if anybody has contact info for him I would greatly appreciate it.   Thanks in advance my email is horseshu@itstriangle.com 

I think Esty has the flatbed attachment for the 3200 cowboy.  He is now in Chicago not in Michigan.

On 7/31/2017 at 8:03 PM, Uwe said:

glenn