Aventurine

Adequately kitted?

Okay.  I just finished ordering my first set of tools for cutting, skiving, grooving, stitch punching, and beveling.  Now  I need to plan for maintaining the edges.  I have 3 grades of Arkansas stone already, a lot of equisetum, a piece of bullhide and a block of green stropping rouge, and fine mineral oil.  Will I need anything else?  Note, everything must be mobile, quiet , and suitable for use at a cabin without electricity, so no stationary electric grinders or power drills  Hopefully I will never wreck an edge so badly as to need those anyhow.

Don’t forget to buy the leather. :banana:

In all seriousness, sounds like you’ve got a lot of bases covered. So, go start making things. You’ll find out what else you want/need as you go. 

Hahaha :)  Thank you Mablung.  People here including you have been a great help. 

Looks like you have all the kit you need for sharpening; and yes, it will all be quiet, portable, and won't need electricity ..... if anything, power tools will damage the small blades used in leatherwork 

There are loads of YT Videos on sharpening, for general stuff like knives, chisels, plane blades, and also leatherwork tools such as edge bevelers, awls, and skiving knives

Make some sheaths or slip covers for your tools; they will protect your fingers from getting cut, and protect the cutting edge from damage ....... stick an awl into a wine bottle cork 

Edited by zuludog

I also use wet/dry abrasive paper in grits 320-1500.  I wrap it around jeweler's files, rods, metal plate, etc to get into tight spaces.  A small pointed diamond hone can also be useful, and some Arkansas slips with rounded or beveled edges.  Sharpeningsupplies.com has the hones and slips.  Card stock and leather edges coated with rouge are also useful for stropping some tools.  My go-to strop is a large square of saddle skirting glued to plywood with some non-skid rubber feet.

Edited by TomE

Good idea, sheaths  first of all.  I've got 1200 grit crocus cloth...I'll get finer grit stuff for the fine work in tight spaces.  Thank you, TomE and Zuludog.

Sharpening and honing tools are definitely two of the skills that leather workers need to acquire.  If you already have those skills, you're steps ahead, just learn the specialty techniques applicable to your edges.

Now, start using those tools!

As mentioned above, sharpening and keeping your tools sharp are easy and a must. I often cringe when watching internet celebrity artisans use obviously dull tools.  It takes just a few seconds to strop cutting tools and keep the edges keen. 

Edited by CdK

OK, one more comment --

I once asked a cobbler 'just how sharp does an awl need to be?'

He replied - 'aahhhh....so they go about halfway through your finger before you notice.'

Have fun! Zuludog.

you have enough to sharpen them just fine. now you need. thread, glue, dyes, rivets. snaps or buckles, beeswax, oils, a ruler or straight edge, strap cutter, stitching pony or clam, a hammer or mallet some hole punches would be nice too. these are for general leather crafting, specialty work like shoe making or saddle making takes various specialized tools as well. I'm sure I've missed a few necessities as well.